Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad 2016 stuck at "Checking License" in splash screen. Tried everything.

73 REPLIES 73
SOLVED
Message 1 of 74
joearrabal
38403 Views, 73 Replies

Autocad 2016 stuck at "Checking License" in splash screen. Tried everything.

Edit: this problems happens in a standalone install.

I've seen this problem reported in the forums for previous versions of Autocad, but none of the proposed solution worked for me. I installed Autocad 2016 in a new computer without any previous Autocad install. After ~2 months, the program gets stuck in the splash screen showing the message "Checking License". Yes, there are many threads about this out there, but nothing worked for me. 

Let me provide a little more technical detail about this. At some point during the program startup, it starts the "Flexnet Licensing Service" service, spawning a process named FNPLicensingService.exe, and this process hangs. If I kill such process, it seems that Autocad repeatedly starts if again. I also tried to start the service manually and it returns error 1053 (the service does not return the control to the Service Control Manager within 30 seconds). It seems this starts to happen after some time, not sure why. I've checked that FlexNet License Service folder contains files with last write time equal to the date I installed Autocad, which seems logical.

These are the things that I tried:

- Waiting for several hours for the "Checking License" screen to finish.

- Fully uninstalling and reinstalling Autocad

- Disabling antivirus and firewall

- Removing license files under %ProgamData%\Flexnet

- Removing %ProgramData%\Autodesk\AdLm, individual files or the whole folder. 

- Installing from a fresh newly created administrator account. 

- System restore to a restore point where everything worked. 

- Restored %ProgramData%\Autodesk\AdLm and/or %ProgamData%\Flexnet to previous versions. 

Things that I refuse to try because they are atrocities and potentially would hurt my computer:

- Downgrade Internet Explorer version (wtf)

- Formatting PC and start fresh (a coworker states that this happened to him and this is how he solved it)

My system also has Acrobat XI Pro (legal license), don't know if it may be related, and an old install of Autocad 2006, installed with Longbow Converter (the user requested so).

By the way, this happens on Windows 8.1 Pro 32 bits, joined to a domain. PC has Intel i3 processor (can provide more system info if needed/useful).

Please, I beg you, provide a solution for this. I've lost hours of work trying to fix this. Thank you very much.

73 REPLIES 73
Message 2 of 74
pendean
in reply to: joearrabal
Message 3 of 74
joearrabal
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Softwar...

Thanks for your reply pendean but in my original post I stated I had already tried everything the article recommends (have seen dozens copy-paste responses with that link to problems similars to mine), but nothing worked. As I may have not been clear enough, I'll explain it in more detail quoting the linked article:

Issue:
When you start AutoCAD it hangs at "Checking License".
Causes:
Corrupt licensing, internet block, antivirus block.
Solution:
Delete the Trusted Storage data file and start the program. It will resemble this: ADSKFLEX_NUMBERS_TSF.data. It should be located here:
Windows XP:
Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet

Vista/Windows 7:
C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet
Already tried. It doesn't work.

Turn off Antivirus and retry. 
Already tried. It doesn't work.

Roll back Internet Explorer to an earlier version and start the program, (you can update the browser after a start- this is usually only an initial activation issue). 

What IE version do I have to roll back to? My OS is Windows 8.1 Pro and it's always updated to the latest Microsoft patches. Do I have to uninstall some Windows updates? which ones? I have installed hundreds of windows updates, so please, can you be more specific?  

If your Autodesk software is network licensed, please verify that it is pointing to the correct license server. 
You can verify this in the client license file, LICPATH.lic, or if you are using distributed license server set up in ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE env variable. 

Fer networked license AutoCAD or other Autodesk software, you can also need to verify that ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE value is correct under following registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FLEXlm License Manager.
Article ID: kA230000000eHd5
It does not apply. Standalone license.

I'm sure there must be a solution for this other than wiping the entire system. Thank you.

Message 4 of 74
pendean

Sadly, something changed on your computer in the two months it all worked. Your license file got trashed. Autodesk has no other comments about that exact error message if you truly tried it all.

Are you renting/leasing 2016 month-to-month, or is this a perpetual license?

Explore Error 1053 issues already posted and see if any of them offer additional fixes: https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=autocad+error+1053

Did you purchase a subscription or a support package from Autodesk? If yes, you need to log into the subscription management page and seek Autodesk help from there (support link is at the top of that page, select the middle link).
Message 5 of 74
rkmcswain

joearrabal wrote:

Please, I beg you, provide a solution for this. I've lost hours of work trying to fix this. Thank you very much.

Presuming you are on subscription, log into your "Autodesk Account" and open a support ticket with the help crew.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 74
joearrabal
in reply to: rkmcswain

Hi, thanks to all of you. Unfortunately I'm using a student license which stated to be valid for three years (it worked for two months).

Does it mean I won't get help? Does this product work only for paid subscriptors, even the free demos/licenses? 

Last thing I tried was removing all traces of autocad following http://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/installation-activation-licensing/get-ready/remove-pr... and 
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/installation-activation-licensing/get-ready/remove-pr... and reinstalling after, but that did not work either.

I understand I'm not paying for this product, but I don't think it's normal it just stops working during the trial/free license validity period and there is no solution for it. Moreover, there are multiple threads from other people with this issue, who don't get help either. Is there any chance I can get any help?

Regards.

Message 7 of 74

i have exactly the same problem, tried the same things as you but didn't get any results....

I also use the student version, because i am a student.

Message 8 of 74
recritchfield
in reply to: 01302979

We are doomed
Message 9 of 74

I just had this issue with a client using AutoCAD 2015, so I'm posting in all the forums with the issues, in case anyone else runs across the same thing.

This happened after installing 2017 (which I believe installs Microsoft .NET 4.6) but they claimed the checking license issue had been happening for a couple of weeks. I tried deleting the files in the Flexnet folder, but it did not help. I mention .NET because I tried doing a Repair on AutoCAD from the Windows Control Panel and it gave me an error saying .NET 4.5 was not installed. Turns out 4.6 was installed.

I uninstalled .NET 4.6, downloaded and installed .NET 4.5, ran the Repair, then AutoCAD ran fine.  

Jason Dupree
Senior Consultant - ECAD, Inc.
Message 10 of 74
dalevinson

So I don't know if this will help at all but I was running into the same issues as you. If by chance you have any other Autodesk programs on your system try starting one of them then going back and trying AutoCAD. I started up Inventor then attempted AutoCAD again and it started right up. Not really a fix or it was just some weird glitch, but it worked for me. Hope this helps
Message 11 of 74
jason.dupree
in reply to: dalevinson

To continue this conversation with possible solutions, here's a list of things to do and files to delete that came from Autodesk support. It's much more extensive than just deleting the one FLEXnet folder.

1) Verify the date and time on your computer (make any necessary changes).

2) Please close the Autodesk software then please Rename or Delete the following file: 

Windows 7/Windows 8/Windows 10
C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\adskflex_*_tsf.data and the two other Adsk files listed total of 3 files to be deleted.

(Please note the above file is a hidden file and you will need to enable show hidden files under folder options).

3) Locate and Rename the following folder:

Windows: C:\User\username\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ADUT\
Change it to:
C:\User\username\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ADUT2\ 

4) if present, please Delete the contents of the folder C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\CLM\LGS\

5) verify your internet options settings have nothing checked under proxy settings:
Launch Internet explorer 
Go to Tools >
Internet Options
Select Connections Tab
Click on LAN Settings
Unselect all the check boxes related to proxy settings and automatically detect settings 
Click OK and close the “Local Area Network (LAN) Settings” dialog. 
Click OK and close “Internet Properties” dialog
6) “disable any white-listing software” for example: Parity Agent. Or any other Web filtering software like NetNanny. 

7) Verify that you can open this website http://accounts.autodesk.com do not log in, just verify that the website opens up on your computer

😎 Now please launch AutoCAD on your computer, it will activate and then prompt you to log in. 

9) If your company is behind a proxy server, please share the following with your IT department as they will need to make the following changes:

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2013/12/proxy-servers-and-autodesk-360.html

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Meta-licensing.html

Jason Dupree
Senior Consultant - ECAD, Inc.
Tags (1)
Message 12 of 74

I have the paid version of Auto cad 16 (paid dearly) and now it stopped working. I have done no recent changes to my computer. Auto Cad worked last week and now it doesn't. (gets stuck on checking license). I followed all these steps to no avail.

I am wasting my time instead of working. This sucks!!!

Message 13 of 74
matthew.d
in reply to: mcurtinenvent

Hi @mcurtinenvent,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about the issue. Please update your graphics card driver. You likely had some windows updates that took place in the background of your computer and now that the driver needs to be update. Let us know how it goes.

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 14 of 74
mcurtinenvent
in reply to: matthew.d

I upgraded to V17 and also to the desktop app. I dont seem to have any issues. I think the issue was that I had disabled the application manager application hoping to conserve on memory at startup. I did not realize this program probably does the license checking. Is that correct?

Message 15 of 74
matthew.d
in reply to: mcurtinenvent

Hi @mcurtinenvent,

The application manager shouldn't have anything to do with the program checking the license. Is it working with it enabled? Or did you do a reboot, which may have solved the issue?

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 16 of 74
mcurtinenvent
in reply to: matthew.d

When I was having the problem I did reboot several times

Message 17 of 74

Hi, just download CCleaner to clear up all corrupted or invalid registry. Then you AutoCAD should work again.

Message 18 of 74
bkspring
in reply to: yuk.wah.cheng

I'm running Win 10.    Autocad LT hung up at "Checking License".   I pay to plenty of money, Autodesk needs to have this work, so I can work, instead of spending hours reading help pages.  My client, who needs the result this afternoon is going to be upset, and I can't get these hours back.

Windows 10:  The step which Jason.Dupree listed that worked was to delete/rename the file C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet\adskflex_*_tsf.data  

The other files he listed did not exist in my Win 10.    I did have a working internet connection.

Win 10: One step.     Delete/Rename that file.   Autodesk should make this not an issue.   Our clients want to pay us to work on their jobs, not spend our time fixing the software we rely on.

Message 19 of 74
bkspring
in reply to: bkspring

Not working today. Autodesk is killing my time with their "License Check".
Message 20 of 74
IconSystem

There is a HUGE problem with this and no one seems to be able to fix it.

I have a wasted month, 60 emails and two CLOSED support cases without it being resolved to prove it.

#NotAHappyBunny
Regards, Chris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report