Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2016 reinstalled to new system

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
613 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD 2016 reinstalled to new system

How would I reinstall our copy of AutoCAD 2016 onto a new system?  The user that originally purchesed the application (as a company employee) has left the company and I'm not being asked to install it on his replacement.  We have the installation files, but I keep running into an issue where I get an error saying that the connection is lost (see attached screenshot).

Capture.JPG

How can I get this installed?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Welcome to the Autodesk User's Community..

You actually don't have the installation files..  You have a link to the web-installer and thus you get the message you're seeing.

Download and install per:

1.  Clean out your personal temp (%temp%) folder.  Set Windows UAC to never notify, full admin rights, and if possible disable your Anti-Virus/Malware scanning utilities. Also the download should occur over a hard wired connection to the Internet and not over WIFI.

2. Access the Autodesk Virtual Agent and follow the download links to your product.

3. Download all of the parts (some applications only have a single part to download) for your product first. Do not continue until all of the parts have fully downloaded.
4. Navigate to your download folder location and extract (double click) part _001_00X.sfx.exe (or the single file download).
5. In a few seconds the extraction will start and prompt you to extract to C:\Autodesk.
6. Once the extraction is finished, the installation will automatically start.
7. Follow the installation steps for your product.  At this point you could cancel the installation or create a deployment.

However if the installation does fail using this method, please post your installation log file here so we can review it.  Posting info: Sometimes installation log files contain personal information such as your serial #.  Prior to posting your log file please make sure to remove such info.

Good luck on your installation and report back on your progress.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Do I need to do this process from the original user (purchasers) account? Unfortunately, since he left the company last week, we no longer have contact with him and there's no record of the purchase in his email Inbox.
Message 4 of 11
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Autodesk Virtual Agent is just a place to download the common Autodesk applications.  There's no account needed.  But you will need your serial # that was assigned to your company for the installation.  Do you have that info?  Do you have a reseller?  If you do they can provide all that information to you.  We are only users here and don't have access to any accounts.

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Well, this is all a moot point since I cannot locate the serial number.  I thought I had it but it's just a server key.  

I have no idea who he purchased the software from, so that option is out as well.

Thank you for your help and assistance.

Message 6 of 11
Mark.Lancaster

No problem..  Chat with an agent here and see if they can assist you by given your company name and as much information as well.  However they may also not hand over that information due to security reasons but its worth a try.    @natasha.l anything else to add?

Mark Lancaster

Message 7 of 11

@Anonymous

Light bulb went off..  Smiley Very Happy   Do you still have AutoCAD 2016 running on another machine?  IF you do, launch the application, select help (upper right hand corner of screen) - Circle with a question mark

Select About AutoCAD, when the dialog appears select Product Information.  In that dialog should be your serial #.

Mark Lancaster

Message 8 of 11
natasha.l

@Mark.Lancaster yeah it happens. Smiley LOL

Hello @Anonymous,

You can also locate this information in C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\Autodesk\(product info.html)  activation information is saved here it includes the request code, product key and serial #.  

Let us know if you have figured this out. Thanks for posting. 

Please "Accept As Solution" if a reply has helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

That worked! We still have the users old laptop, so I was able to get the Product License info per your instructions.
Now how do I get the installer for AutoCAD 2016?

Thank you...
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you so much for the help on this.  Not only was I able to retrieve the pertinent information but also have the download/installation running right now.

Thank you for all your help on this.

David

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: natasha.l

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the file per your directions.  Not sure if the version doesn't save the information at the location specified or not but I couldn't find anything.

Luckily, I was able to get the resolution through the information provided earlier.

Thanx,

David

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report