Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2016 installation error: a DLL required for this install

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
karosmail
33798 Views, 30 Replies

AutoCAD 2016 installation error: a DLL required for this install

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with the AutoCAD 2016 (education) installation. While installing it tells me a duration of around 280 days until after a while this error occurs:

"There is a problem with this Windows installer package. A DLL required for this installation could not be run. Contact..."

Moreover, when I use the download manager I get the "communication error".

I already downloaded the program through explorer and chrome. I did "install now" and "download now". I have a one-year-old lenovo (64bit) with windows 8.1.

Does anyone now what to do?

Thank you!!!

30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
ukdxb012
in reply to: karosmail

@karosmail

Welcome to the community!

I suggest redownloading the file from the Autodesk Virtual Agent here... http://autodesk.creativevirtual15.com/autodesk/bot.html?isJSEnabled=1&businessArea=Root.Front%20Desk...

You will have more success downloading via Browser Download than Install Now or Download Now.

Regards,

Duncan

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 31
karosmail
in reply to: ukdxb012

Thank you for you reply Duncan!

I tried the Browser Download and got the exact same error at the exact same moment as always. Downloading the installation manager always works. It's while installing when the error occurs. Any other suggestions?

Message 4 of 31
ukdxb012

If the issue is happening during installation, please upload the Log file... http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 31
karosmail

Here are the logs I found...

Message 6 of 31
ukdxb012

Did you redownload the installer from Autodesk Virtual Agent as suggested?

Duncan Brannan
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 7 of 31
karosmail

Yes I did, but it didn't work. But I managed to install AutoCad in the end anyway. I did a bunch of windows updates, dowloaded various fixing programs, just tried whatever I found on the internet and at some point the istallation just worked. 

Thank you for your time and help though!

Message 8 of 31
moge66

Can you please share how you managed to install the software?

I'm having same problem - and yes, before the admin user asks if I downloaded through the virtual agent, I did. Have reinstalled and deleted all traces of Autodesk and AutoCAD from the computer. 

I've even tried with AutoCAD 2015 but no luck. It keeps crashing on the Materials Library part of the installation.

Log File Attached. 

Thanks

Message 9 of 31
argaud1993
in reply to: moge66

Hello,
I just formatted my pc and since when I want to install AutoCAD I have the same error you message. I want to know how you managed to solve your problem.
Thanks for your help.

Message 10 of 31
karosmail
in reply to: argaud1993

Hello,

unfortunatelly i cannot tell you what I exactly did, since it was so long ago. Anyway, I did a bunch of stuff, so I couldn't really tell which one helped. I went on the internet and tried all kinds of different tricks they showed on different websites. I'm sorry I couldn't help you. I know how frustrating it is.

Message 11 of 31
kellie.johnston

Hey All!

I am having exactly the same problem. Crashes at the material library. Anyone figure out how to install it?

Thanks,

Kellie

Message 12 of 31

@kellie.johnston

Welcome to the community...

It appears from your log that you are using the install now option.  Stop and go to the Autodesk Virtual Agent and follow the download links to your product.  Download all of the parts first and then go to your download location.  Extract (double click) part 1 and in a few seconds the extraction will start.   It will then prompt you to extract to C:\Autodesk and once the extraction is finished the installation will start. Also make sure you have admin rights, UAC is turned off and Anti-Virus temporary disabled prior to installation.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 13 of 31

Thanks for the tips. I tried running it the way you suggested.
1. Downloaded the autoCAD 2016 file directly from the virtual agent (there was only one... not sure what you meant by ‘all the parts’)
2. Turned off anti virus
3. Turned down the lowest setting on UAC

Still no dice unfortunately, same error in the same point of installation. See attached log file.

Thanks so much for you help!
Message 14 of 31

@kellie.johnston

Can you repost your installation log after using the installation steps I provided.

Downloaded the autoCAD 2016 file directly from the virtual agent (there was only one... not sure what you meant by ‘all the parts’..  For some applications there are multiple parts to download and others like Autocad its a single download.  You are the first to comment on my wording..  I will tweak it to cover all aspects...  Smiley Happy

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 15 of 31

See attached the log file.

Message 16 of 31

@kellie.johnston

Can you clean out the C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Temp folder per the account that is being used to install the software.   Delete as many files and folders when nothing is running except the operating system.  You will not be able to remove every file or folder in that location but delete as many as you can.  Reboot your machine and make sure you're using an Admin account, UAC is turned off, and anti-virus software is tempoary disabled.

Then try the installation again.

I also assume you have enough free disk space and this is unlikely you have this toggled on but can your confirm the following:

Short file name creation is disabled on the target machine

Enable support for 8.3 name creatione.g., short file nameson the target machine. Navigate to the following registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

An NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation value of zero (0) enables the short file name creation functionality. A value of one (1) disables this functionality.

Registry modifications require rebooting the target machine for the change to take affect—do this before attempting to launch the setup again.

Note: If the target machine should normally have short file name creation disabled, it can be disabled after the install completes by resetting NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation to its original value and rebooting again.

Mark Lancaster

Message 17 of 31

Hi!

Quick question; when editing the registry for short file naming – am I needed a value or (0) or (1)? I currently have a value of 0x00000002(2).

Thanks,
Kellie
Message 18 of 31

OK. So I tried again with another failure;

1. I set the value for short name file creation to (0)

2. I deleted all files that I could in the temp folder

3. Restarted the machine

4. Tried the installation again from the same download I used a couple of days ago

I did notice that it starts the installation in the same place it gets stuck (19/20 DirectX).

I have 190GB free on my C:/ drive, which I assume is plenty.

Any other ideas? Really appreciating your help trying to get this to work!

Thanks,

Kellie

Message 19 of 31

@kellie.johnston

See my posting on this discussion..  First one/2nd page..

Try following those steps and report back..

Mark Lancaster

Message 20 of 31

Hey Andrew,

I'm not sure I followed correctly (followed this link; https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to... but what I did try was;

1. Try to run the materials library installation seperately (same error)

2. Look in my registry files for the key required mentioned further down the article (not there).

Is the aim to install the materials library seperately? If so does it need that registry key? If so, how do I get it!

Thanks,

Kellie

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report