Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 installer launches when starting other unrelated application

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
DavetoC
22068 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 installer launches when starting other unrelated application

Greetings to all!

I am new to this forum and postings in general, so I thank you for your indulgence if I fail to follow any "protocols" while submitting my issue.

Here's the situation a was submitted from clients of ours, who recently started using our application, along with AutoCAD 2015 on PCs running Windows 7 (64-bit).

When they launch our application, they are immediately presented with a message "Please wait while Windows configures AutoCAD Utility Design 2015", with another message overlapping, asking to "Run Setup.exe to install AutoCAD Utility Design 2015 - English". If the user clicks on the OK button, he then is presented with the authentification window of our application, and upon confirming his credentials, the AutoCAD installer messages come back again and can only be "removed" by clicking OK two times in a row. Our application then fully launches and no other issues with AutoCAD until the next launch. This situation occurs even with an "admin" account.

I have managed to find a kind of "workaround" to this situation, for one of our clients, but I feel like the real / main issue isn't solved and that's what annoys me. The workaround comes in two folds :

1- run the requested AutoCAD module manually, i.e AutoCAD Utility Design 2015 - English in this case, and seeing it through till AutoCAD launches, although the installation was already performed;

2- configure our application to "run as administrator".

If I only perform step 1, the issue remains.

If I run our app as admin, no more messages from AutoCAD installer, and both applications run fine on their own.

At first gance, it looks like a rights / permission level issue, but then why would AutoCad installer be launched when our application has no (know) links to AutoCAD, unless some obscure shared ressource (DLL?? OCX?? other??), where one would interfere with another?? I have read articles about MSI and the KeyPath value being one of the main reference for Windows to determine if a given application maybe corrupted or not, triggering its reinstallation if that value doesn't match the workstation's reality. What then would trigger AutoCAD's installer when our application is launched?

I would appreciate any inputs anyone may have to solve this mystery (to me at least!)

Thanks!

DavetoC

10 REPLIES 10
Message 3 of 11
DavetoC
in reply to: pendean

Greetings,

Sorry for the late reply... swamped with technical work, as I am sure most of us techs are!  😉

As for the solutions proposed in one of your links (Pendean), it turns out the "repair" solution worked out miracles for one of our clients. As for another one, using DWG TrueView 2015, the issue remains, even if used the "repair" option for re-installation. Yet another client used the "Run as admin" option and reported no more "Please run setup..." messages from AutoCAD 2015 when launching our application. But this latter solution does not suit the client with DWG TrueView 2015, in terms of deployment, and upgrading the few users to Admin of their own machine does not appeal to hime either, even as local admins...

Any ideas as to what would be the "root of this evil" ? Client environment ? Shared components of different versions between our application and TrueView?

Thanks for any pointers you may have.

Cheers,

Dave.

Message 4 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: DavetoC

Hi,

>> Shared components of different versions between our application and TrueView?

That's my first thought, what OCX/DLL/libraries are you installing on the system? What development system/UI/compiler do you use?

What setup-manager do you use when installing your application?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 11
jcs1112
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

My company is in the process to switching to version 2016, and we had the same problem pop up.  On our end,  repairing the installation,  with all programs closed (don't have anything running) seems to have fixed the problem.

Message 6 of 11
drumminggonzo

Notes to those who are in a domain evironment like i just dealt with. If the user is a standard user and not an admin then " logon as an admin to uninstall/ adduser to administrators group in local users and groups./ logon as that user and reinstall. remove user from administrators group and logoff logon again and should't have an issue.

Message 7 of 11
lforl01

The repair procedure worked for me on my Windows 10 computer.

Thank you.

Just run 'Repair Installation" with all other programs closed, that's it.

MM

Message 8 of 11
tipsnews
in reply to: lforl01

repairing the install of the program that is trying to install again fixed my issue also - NOT related to Autocad in any way just the same problem with different programs.

Message 9 of 11
guido_66
in reply to: tipsnews

This is still an issue with AutoCAD 2018. Cannot find any way to repair it...

Message 10 of 11
m_latz
in reply to: guido_66

Go to the Event Viewer, there Windows Logs -> Application and look for Errors with MSI.

If you post screenshots from the errors, than we can take a look.

regards

Markus

Message 11 of 11
guido_66
in reply to: m_latz

Sorry for the late reply, I found a way to do a repair on AutoCAD going through the old fashioned control panel now hidden in Windows 10.

Currently I'm having trouble installing Nastran in-cad 2018R1 and after each attempt I need to do the same repair on autocad!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report