Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max Version 8 not compatible with Windows 10

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
Anonymous
4375 Views, 28 Replies

3DS Max Version 8 not compatible with Windows 10

I had perchased 3Dmax 8 about seven or eight years ago. I'm still using the program and learning. I have windows7 and haven't had any real problems with it, but now that windows 10 has come out the program doesn't work well with it so I had to change back to windows 7. I don't have the money to put out on a new program. but I do enjoy using 3Dmax8. I have tried the trial 3Dmax 2015 but after the 30 days lost all of my models I have been working on. the older version can't open the newer files. I'm not a professional designer but just a retired US Navy man that enjoys workng and doing model with my hobby in Model trains. I can't afford the cost of the newer program or monthly payment. I have talked to the nearest dealer and they say my program I bought seven years ago it can't be upgraded due to the the program not being legal. I don't know why! I bought it off the internet year ago. If there any way to get a newer version with out paying the price of the newest version. Other wise I'm stuck using the program I have and it has been working well with windows 7 64bit. I would like to upgrade to windows 10 but it doesn't work! any Ideals??/ Thanks

Your post subject line has been edited by @hagen.deloss: 3D max

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Unfortunately Max is really expensive. I probably shouldn't say this on here, but check out Blender if you are a hobbyist. It's free, and gaining alot of attention and respect from the modelling community now.

Message 3 of 29
DarrenP

@Anonymous wrote:

I have talked to the nearest dealer and they say my program I bought seven years ago it can't be upgraded due to the the program not being legal. I don't know why! I bought it off the internet year ago.

if you bought 3ds max 8 a year ago then this wasn't a legal copy

have you looked at desktop subscription?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 4 of 29
dgorsman
in reply to: DarrenP

I think that says "7 years ago".  But just "buying it off the internet" doesn't make it legal.  Not sure if AutoDesk was doing direct internet sales at that point.  We may be missing something (usually are, with somebody providing third-hand information), such as AutoDesk saying that there isn't a legal way to upgrad.  Regardless, it cannot be upgraded for free, and older versions are not for sale at a discount.  Thats just the way it is.

Like it or not, this is a professional program geared towards those who charge for their work rather than hobbyists.  If the OP cannot find the money to pay for the program, they'll have to find something else at a lower cost.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

It seem there is no good answer for those of us that don't have large enought income! but like to draw for a hobby. I'm a retired veteran and military retirement after spending 20 good years in. But this is my life! so I guess I just keep using what I have and make the best of it. Even the CD I have has world's most widely-used 3D modeling, animation, and rending software Final Release and 3D max 8 CD1. Final Reply to this forum! so this is no help for me!!!!!

Message 6 of 29
istan

What exactly means "doesn't work well with win10"? I thought Win10 is still Windows? Could it be just a graphics driver issue?

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: istan

If you where following the discussion you would have notice that this was about 3D max 8 which is and older virsion. Which dosn't work with windows 10. I was told it wouldn't work with window 7 but that's what operating system I'm still using and the older virsion works well with windows 7. So it not a graphic driver but and out dated program which cost a arm and leg to have with today world. They make more money with there software then people do making new projects since the a hobby person is not considered a good example as someone said. even if he is designing stuff in 1:220 scale Z 3D printing for train hobbiest. This is link to one of my projects for the train hobby world this was done with 3D max 8

http://shpws.me/JZ5W

best regards,

southernnscale

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous

Like I said, Blender is a fantastic program and it's totally free. I really think you should consider using that from now on.

3DS Max is expensive because it's used in the production of much larger commercial projects. It's never pretended to be for the hobbyist, and the price s justified in my opinion. I don't think there's anymore to say on the matter.

Message 9 of 29
lightcube

This is just info regarding personal experience. A few years ago when my father-in-law was stationed overseas, I sent an inquiry about getting him access to Max as he enjoyed Gmax (really old limited Max).

AD sent me a reply that he was probably eligible for an educational license and told me to send him to the Autodesk EDU site. I see no reason that you should move to using Blender if you are eligible for the educational license (which is free). I do not know the current status of edu licenses or requirements, but it's worth looking into.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 10 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: lightcube

Yes! Gmax was my first program when I was just playing around with drawing. then I bought the 3Dmax 8 and it was so much better to work with and I have been using the program ever since. it came with the CD. which I still have. Just about 2013 when the 3D printing came out and a freind was doing the same as I'm now doing with my train hobby Is designing stuff in the Z scale 1:220. Which not a lot of stuff is being made here in the US so I started doing my own stuff. The 3D max was the right program at the time. I was thinking of buying the program but then saw the price! wow! then I tried to uprrade the one I have but they said the code wasn't legal. So no upgrade. I tried the 30 day trail verison 3D max2015 and the rendering was great. The when it ran out Ihad quite a few drawings and the old 3D max wouldn't open them so I lost them all. Oh! well. Most of your schooling after military has to happen with in ten years to use your GI bill. Thanks! 

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous

Well! I'm still out there looking for a way! I really enjoyed doing the little models I was doing. Being retired military really can't afford the 3D max newest program. I have the book and the older 3Dmax7 CD and book that came with it and I did get the 3Dmax8 working on the windows 10 but now it seem my license I have been using since 2003 won't work now that I had to get a new PC and the CD wouldn't work. I got it to activate and had a activation code but as soon as I clicked Finished the next time I started it come up to activate again. here are the photo's of the disk and book I have bought and paid a pretty good price but nothing like the newest version. I really don't like the blender program and at 65 I really don't think about going to school to become a Professional designer. Thanks for all the comment's I didn't know these where here because I'm not on the site as much as some of you others! thank again! I would just like to get my 3D max running again so I can enjoy making my own models I have never had any training taught myself with the 3Dmax program

I got these when I bought the diskI got these when I bought the disk1:220 scale z1:220 scale zCrane 1:220 scaleCrane 1:220 scale

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: lightcube

I understand! I was also using the Gmax program. before I found the 3Dmax8 and upgraded it as far as I could and I have been using it with windows 10 and still working ok! good for what I needed! But now they said it is no good but I have the CD and all!

@lightcube wrote:

This is just info regarding personal experience. A few years ago when my father-in-law was stationed overseas, I sent an inquiry about getting him access to Max as he enjoyed Gmax (really old limited Max).

AD sent me a reply that he was probably eligible for an educational license and told me to send him to the Autodesk EDU site. I see no reason that you should move to using Blender if you are eligible for the educational license (which is free). I do not know the current status of edu licenses or requirements, but it's worth looking into.

Message 13 of 29
Anonymous

I've tried blender and don't like it and have a hard time using it and since I'm not a professional designer! I don't think there should be any reason I shouldn't be able to keep using the program I have it works for me and I really don't need any upgrade for the 3D max8. Thanks! I'll just keep trying not getting and younger at 65!

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous

Thanks! for the like. But this has been a old post and it seem to be in the wrong place to talk about things. Haven't got much information from anyone that works with 3D max 8.  All communication from people like us just stick us all together and work it out but we really don't have any control over anything! We can't change the way they use there program to help us out that really can't afford it! So it seem hopeless then you have others who do have the program and pay all that money. They don't even help. I still have Gmax but it can't do some of the things I can do with 3D max. So thanks Again! have a great day!

Message 15 of 29
whitebirchstudios

If it hasn't been mentioned, SketchUp might be a good alternative for you. Actually, they have a hoppiest version and a pro version. 

Message 16 of 29
hagen.deloss

Hello @Anonymous,

Thanks for bringing this thread back! I'm so sorry there hasn't been a resolution to this! I can commiserate on the cost, when I was doing contract work in the 3D field, it was hard to pay an annual subscription for an expensive software, I can't imagine paying for it as a hobbyist, the barrier of entry and upkeep is frustrating! Ahhh the price we pay for our passions 😄

I would echo that there are alternative 3D softwares that would work on Windows 10. an alternative to Blender is a program called Maya LT. It will still have a learning curve (as most software's do), but it's comparably inexpensive to 3DS Max.  here is a link to that

I hope this helps! If you still feel a lack of resolution please let me know!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 17 of 29
natasha.l

Hello @Anonymous, 

I understand you are aware that Windows 10 is not a supported operating system for 3ds Max 2008, Windows 10 also rolls out updates very frequently that would cause incompatibility issues with prerequisites needed to run the software properly. 

Autodesk provides support for the current version & three versions back, unsupported versions can become unavailable at any time & may not function on a newer operating system. 

The forum community members may be able to offer some advice.  

Please "Accept Solution" if a reply or replies have helped resolve the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: natasha.l

Hello you say it's not compatible with windows 10. I was using windows 7 for a long time till my PC crashed and had to got with windows 10. I have been using 3D max8 for a long time and had very few problems. I'm not a professional designer but a self taught with 3D max8 and using it along with my hobby. I might not be a top dog in drawing but as a USN retired veteran who has fought for his country. I deserve to be able to do something to help fight the stress and doing something I enjoy. You can't put a price on that. The link below is my Shop on Shapeways where I download my 3D printing drawings to support my hobby in Model trains 1:220 scale. Not being able to fine things manufactured by other Companies so I make my own. Most of these were done with windows 10 and not being a professional designer I think I'm doing pretty good. My 3D max 8 has been upgraded to the max and I have save all the updates on a separate drive so in case of a crash I can reinstall back to what I had. I like using my new PC because of the larger screen! and my laptop I still have the program working but it a smaller screen and hard to do detail work! I tried transferring the license but it will not except! so say what you wish! I know it was working for me! It cost me then to buy it and that was back in 2003 or 4 long time ago!

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/walts-trainz-and-things-z?sort=newest

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: hagen.deloss

Hello,

I can understand the cost to a point! If using and older version not supported then you should be able to use. I did buy it back in 2003 but didn't keep the mailing paper work I have just the book and the disk as I have posted before. I have tried other software! But 3Dmax8 work best for me. I like how it set up and I was still learning on how it works! I used Gmax also but it can't do some of the things that 3Dmax 8 can do. I think with the upgrades like realdraw 2007 and SP1,2,3 and a few others. So why now is it not working. and I mean do working by wanting me to re register it again! other wise it will still open and work. So now I have thousand of files I can open to change things on the drawings. Sorry ! but this was what was keeping me going I enjoyed the peace in working when I felt like it and designing thing I needed,

Attached is a photo of a 1912 Steam Shovel used by the Railroad I design from just a photo and scale it down it only 3inches longSteam Shovel 1912Steam Shovel 1912

Message 20 of 29
hagen.deloss

Hi @Anonymous

These train models are amazing! I love the amount of detail you have put in to them 😄

The reason your version of 3DS Max isn't working on Windows 10 is it wasn't designed to run on that Operating system. It most likely wouldn't work at all. 3DS Max 8 was designed years ago to be compatible with an older version of the Windows Operating System. 

That sounds very frustrating and I hope we can figure out a solution for you.

My advice right now is to work around the limitations! It sounds like part of the problem is your laptop screen is too small to see the details, and you like working on your larger desktops screen, would hooking up your laptop to your larger desktop monitor work? I realize that isn't ideal, but it may help. A 2 way HDMI cord should do the trick, depending on your computers specs.

I hope this advice helps you!

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report