Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max 2018 crashes at licensing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
gmaestri
1292 Views, 4 Replies

3ds Max 2018 crashes at licensing

Installed 3ds Max 2018 and it works great in the 30 day trial mode.  No issues.  However, it crashes when I try to license.

1) If I select "Enter Serial Number" from the licensing splash screen, it goes to the Max splash for a while, then crashes.  Going into trial mode, however, allows the software to run.

2) Trying to license from within the app also crashes.  I press "Already Have a License" on the trial screen, then get a second "Activate" screen.  When I press "Activate", it crashes.

Any ideas? 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
natasha.l
in reply to: gmaestri

Hello @gmaestri,

Welcome back. I would make sure you first meet the system requirements & check your connectivity to the internet.

Then continue with these steps if you still have an issue. 

1. Conduct a Clean Uninstall of the program use MSfixitTool to complete the uninstall 
  2. Log in as an Administrator 
  3. Empty your TEMP folder. To open the TEMP folder, type %TEMP% in the address bar of Windows Start Menu and hit Enter 
  4. Temporarily disable your Antivirus software & Firewall
  5. Temporarily disable UAC:  Windows 7 , Windows 10 
  6. Use Browser Download Method for Autodesk Account

Report back on the progress. 

Please "Accept As Solution" if a reply has helped resolved the issue or answered your question, to help others in the community.

Message 3 of 5
gmaestri
in reply to: natasha.l

Well, now things seem to be worse.

I cleaned out my TEMP directory, disabled MS virus protection, and tried uninstalling Max 2018 using the Autodesk uninstall tool.  

The uninstall tool said it completed successfully, but 3ds Max 2018 did not uninstall.  I can still run the program.

But...

3ds Max 2018 is no longer visible in the Autodesk uninstall tool.

3ds Max 2018 is no longer visible to the MSFixIt tool

However - 3ds Max 2018 IS visible to the standard Windows control panel (Programs and Features.)  When I try to do an uninstall from there, it gives me an Autodesk menu.  When I hit "uninstall" from that menu, I get a "Failed to get allied products" error and the uninstall fails.

Message 4 of 5
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: gmaestri

@gmaestri

At this point you will need to perform a clean uninstall per these instructions.  Make sure to use the Microsoft Fixit as indicated in that article.  Just make sure to adjust settings if you have other Autodesk products already installed/working on your machine.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 5
gmaestri
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Those instructions did not completely uninstall.  

I had to go into the registry using these instructions and remove stuff manually.  That finally got rid of Max.

I re-installed... and I'm back where I started.  3ds Max is still crashing when I try to license.  Exact same problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report