Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max 2016 crashes on Windows 10

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
7453 Views, 4 Replies

3ds max 2016 crashes on Windows 10

Hello!

I use 3ds max 2016 Student Version SP1 on OS Windows 10 and collided with a problem. In the first 5 minutes of operation, the program gives a window "3ds Max Error Report" and the program closes. In the window "3ds Max Error Report Details" section "Report Contents" prescribed 3 files:

3dsmax_minidump.dmp

dmpuserinfo.xml

dumpdata.zip

My computer:

Windows 10 Pro x64
AMD Athlon(tm) X4 740 Quad Core Processor (4CPUs), ~3.2GHz
8192MB RAM
AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

In Windows 7, this problem is absent. It came after an upgrade to Windows 10.
Help me please! I do not know what to do!
Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

who said it was compatible?

this is all Autodesk has announced for Windows 10
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Windows-10-support-for-Au...

other threads on this subject: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels&q=windows+10

roll back to the previous OS when it was working

Message 3 of 5
youryp

I've been having the same problem for weeks now, The only solution I've found is to change the viewport driver setting under prefences>viewport>Display Driver and change it to other than Nitrous Direct X 11. When I using Direct X 11 it normally crashes, I'm guessing 3ds Max has an incompatible with windows 10 because this problem hasn't occurred until I updated to windows 10. There might be some things that you might have to sacrifice like viewport quality and frame rate depending on the driver you choose, but hey better than it crashing every minute.

Message 4 of 5
emacinnes
in reply to: youryp

I'm having extensive problems with 3DS MAX 2016 crashing, I'm seeing .NET errors when editing properties (trying to limit a Taper effect), crashing when moving a vertex, crashing when selecting a number of polygons etc..

DirectX 11, legacy OpenGL, DirectX9 don't seem to improve the situation at all. 

I've installed EXP1 and SP1 to no avail. (Manually as well, by running the .MSI files) as the Autodesk update manager fails to install them, even though they are listed. Uninstalling and reinstalling does not improve this situation at all.

Setting 3DS MAX to Software rendering was the only way I could get a good, stable experience. I suspect it's the AMD drivers, as there's lots of problems in Windows 10 with games and rendering issues and slowdowns, so anything that doesn't depend on the AMD drivers is a good thing I suspect.

Message 5 of 5
Kelly_Michels

There are known issues with AMD cards and AMD has informed us that this issue is looking to be fixed in the next AMD WHQL release before the end of year.

Kelly Michels
3ds Max Senior QA
3ds Max Feedback Community Manager
ECP Division Feedback Community Administrator
kelly.michels@autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report