Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21
jagrove
6857 Views, 20 Replies

2013 Install Process

Hello,

I created an AutoCad Electrical 2013 deployment and went to install it on a client computer to have it sit in the Setup Initialization phase for hours. ( I left it over night)

I don't get any prompts to answer, the progress bar fills up and then retreats back to half full.  It continues this for as long as you let it.

I modified the deployment and it didn't help.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
TravisNave
in reply to: jagrove

Modify the deployment.  Do not make it a silent install.  Post any installation error logs that get created.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 21

Hello,        

Please try to recreate the deployment, and make it unsilent install in the same page which you put the deployment name and path in. After that try to install from the new deployment.

Let me know if you still have the same issue, and also attache the log files from %temp% folder.       

Thanks,   

Robin Shou   

Quality Assurance   

AutoCAD Electrical   

Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 21

Did this issue ever get resolved? I am having the same problem with Electrical 2012. Win 7 and XP both display this issue. I am an admin user.

Message 5 of 21
Jake.Nelson

Same issue here. I left my install going for ages and it sat on "Initializing setup" for the entire time. This prompt has a scroll bar that inifinitlely loops and when I look at taskmgr I can see that the setup*32.exe has been called but nothing else has (dotnet 4 I think is called first during a normal setup).

Cpu usage sits on nothing and Network usage bursts to about 3% when the deployment starts but drops to 0% after a few seconds.

Nothing in the event logs that is helpful, no warning or errors or completions around this.

Interestingly enough though once I remade the deployment share (not from scratch, I used the existing files) without the silent install paramter it all went through the setup fine.

Also, the log is not created when I had the silent install option enabled so it's not even at that stage when it's halting.

Message 6 of 21

Hello RobinShou,

I was having the same problem with AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013 32-bit and 64-bit Deployments, with the AutoCAD Setup Initialization being stuck on initializing.  Your suggestion about re-creating the deployment ("run silent" was already off) did the trick.  I can now do the various deployments!

Thank you,

John L., Civil CADD Manager

Message 7 of 21
steinar.sorem

Hi, i even has the same problem with Autodesk Product Design Suite 2013. Setup is initializing are hanging and nothing more happens. I will try to uncheck silent install as well. Autodesk, whats in this problem? Solutions avalible for Win 7 ?

I can see an solution on the Up an ready blog regadrs this problem on Win XP x64. What abaout Win 7 ?

Message 8 of 21
john.lund

This problem that happened to me (AutoCAD 2013 & AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013) had occurred on both Windows XP Pro 32-bit and Window 7 Pro 64-bit OS. I did a "Re-create Deployment" option under tools in the deployment folder, and it did the trick. No more stuck on "Initializing". Thank you, John L. Lund [Logoletter25x25] John L. Lund Civil CADD Manager Civil CADD Section, Engineering Division Yuma County Dept. of Development Services Telephone: (928) 817-5115 john.lund@yumacountyaz.gov 2351 W. 26th St Yuma, AZ, 85364 Fax: (928) 817-5020 www.yumacountyaz.gov
Message 9 of 21
it
Contributor
in reply to: john.lund

Same problem here.  Trying to create a working Civil 3D 2013 deployment but it sits at the Setup Initialization window forever.  No network log file is ever created, it must not get that far.  While I don't see a "Re-create deployment" option in the tools folder of the deploy, I used the "create & modify deployment" shortcut to modify it, however, I had already unchecked the silent install option.  I even created the deploy again with the silent option checked, just so I could "modify" the deployment to uncheck it (thinking maybe it's just a bug of some sort).  None of that helped and I am still stuck trying to create a working deployment.

Any other ideas?

Message 10 of 21
AUbridgestone

I ended up re-creating the deployment and that fixed my issue.

Message 11 of 21
it
Contributor
in reply to: AUbridgestone

Do you mean recreate from scratch from the media?  I tried that several times now and the result is the same.  I was hoping there is some silver bullet to get it to work.  Network folder permissions are good (I'm even trying to install as a domain admin, so that shouldn't matter anyway). 

Message 12 of 21
AUbridgestone
in reply to: it

yes, re-create from scratch. The only other issue I had occured because I was trying to install a 32-bit verion on a 64-bit OS.

Message 13 of 21
it
Contributor

I actually just created the deploy right on my extra drive on my workstation and then ran the installer and it worked!  So it has to be something with the server, maybe the path becomes too long or too deep at some point?

Has anyone else had to put their deploys near the root of a network drive in order for it to work?

Message 14 of 21
TravisNave

That's almost certainly the reason for your failure.  Folder depth and 255 character path limit is a real problem with deployments.  That is why your UNC share path should always be \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME

If you share it like that, you'll probably have better success.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 15 of 21
it
Contributor
in reply to: TravisNave

That does appear to be the problem so I will be creating the deploys as close to the root of the share as possible and not nesting it deeper in as in the past.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 21
pa-network

I was having the same problem until a ran the Create and Modify a deployment.  I kept the silent install checked but removed the other two checks ( can't remember what they were, something about creating log files).  After this, the deploy went smoothly.  In my opinion, it has something to do with not having appropriate permissions to write the log file on the deployment server...

Hope this helps...

Message 17 of 21
it
Contributor
in reply to: pa-network

The silent option doesn''t seem to matter for me (yet-hopefully not) and so far, everything is working good by creating the deploys on a network share that isn't nested very deep.

One thing I did notice is that sometimes the setup.exe stops moving along after clicking through the create deploy dialogs, just before it gets to the dialog where you select the products to include.  I found that by using Resource Monitor to suspend setup.exe and then resuming it, it continues to the product selection dialog window.

Message 18 of 21
TravisNave
in reply to: pa-network

@sysbackup wrote:

I was having the same problem until a ran the Create and Modify a deployment.  I kept the silent install checked but removed the other two checks ( can't remember what they were, something about creating log files).  After this, the deploy went smoothly.  In my opinion, it has something to do with not having appropriate permissions to write the log file on the deployment server...

Hope this helps...

You'll want to make sure that your deployment share has full write access on both the share and the folder permissions.  I typically set the everyone account to full control.  The UNC should always be \\servername\share even in the folder structure of the physical location is deeper.  This will prevent folder depth / filepath length issues.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 19 of 21
it
Contributor

I checked perms when I first had problems and they are set up like you mentioned.  I appreciate the feedback from everyone!  So far, everything from creating deploys to running them work great!

Message 20 of 21
skhuam

Hi TravisNave, 

Is this to create a folder under this:  \\servername\share is a must? I currently also facing this issue on creating this deployment on 2 different networks. The one created in this \\servername\share worked, but the other failed. 

Just wonder this is just a coincident or due to others reason. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report