Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds MAX 2013 material library missing

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1384 Views, 6 Replies

3ds MAX 2013 material library missing

New install of 3ds max, the libraries seem to have installed, but there's no 3dsmax.mat file for the Material Browser to open... ??

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

You're looking in the wrong place :- C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2013\materiallibraries\3dsmax.mat

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Went there also, there are 3 files, no 3dsmax.mat

Message 4 of 7
Steve_Curley

Hmmm, I've a lot more than 3 - they will have come from installing the Sample Files, but I'm sure 3dsmax.mat is not in that download. If you have an old copy (and maybe a newer one, but no guarantees) of 3dsmax.mat it should still work. There's lots of links around here for missing 3dsmax.mat files, but they all lead to a dead end (the original page isn't there any more so neither are the files).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks, Steve...

I found a 3dsmax.mat file from my old installation, but the associated bitmaps were missing.

There's 1.14 gb of files in the Autodesk Shared/Materials folder, but no way to access!

??

Message 6 of 7
Steve_Curley

If you have an old library from an old version then you should be able to access the necessary image files as well. There's also a lot in the Samples download which is pretty hefty - around 1.4GB as a download and a whole lot more when extracted.
The files you're looking at are not the ones you need - they're specifically for the Autodesk Materials and I don't think they can be used outside of those specific Materials.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

I should be able to access image files for the old 3dsmax.mat library, but the files that are missing are missing... They are not on my computer even though I brought the whole hard drive with the library on it. Perhaps the files are on the C drive on old computer.

In any case, this still doesn't answer why the current installation didn't produce a 3dsmax.mat file to access. I have to believe there's a way to make this happen!? Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report