Community
Insight Energy Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Insight Energy Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Insight Energy topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions of Energy Analysis with green building studio in Revit

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
aurelieL32JD
1032 Views, 9 Replies

Questions of Energy Analysis with green building studio in Revit

Good afternoon,

I am trying to use Revit transfer to Green Building Studio and Insight 360 for analysis. I have to main questions.

1/ With the same file sent to GBS and Insight 360, the 'BIM' baseline presented via Insight 360 is supposed to be the same as the data I can check under in GBS under "Building details and assumptions" (eg. for thermal properties of the walls) right? The reason I am asking this is that under Insight 360, wall construction R value can't be checked, it just says 'as modeled' value, and as savings are shown when changing for 'R2 cMU' it would mean that Insight 360 considers a R value from the baseline as being below R2 CMU which is not the case as you can see on the screenshot form GBS below.

Capture.JPG

2/ A file is indeed sent to GBS and Insight 360 and I'd like to make sure that areas are properly transferred and understood. Attached is the gbxml file transferred and saved from GBS. I am confused by the huge amount of 'air openings' I can read in GBS under "Building details and assumptions" as when I check the file via Revit/3d view energy model/ analytical surfaces/ air openings, I don't see this amount at all...

Capture2.JPG

thanks a lot in advance for your help, 

Regards

Aurelie

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mstein7484
in reply to: aurelieL32JD

Hi Aurelie,

You are correct that you can check the BIM settings used in Insight in the Base Run in GBS.

There are many thermal properties that factor into the energy efficiency of a building material. The description of the wall construction "R2 CMU" refers to the r-value of the insulation (R-2) only and not the total u-factor of the entire wall assembly.

1. How was your model created?
  2. Was it originally created in FormIt?
  3. Was it created in Revit as a mass model?
  4. Are you seeing the expected floor area in GBS Classic?
  5. Can you send us the Revit model?

Regards,

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

insight.support@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 10
aurelieL32JD
in reply to: mstein7484

Good morning,

thanks for your answers,, below are my answers and questions

1. How was your model created?  in Revit
  2. Was it originally created in FormIt? no 
  3. Was it created in Revit as a mass model? no I don't think so
  4. Are you seeing the expected floor area in GBS Classic? yes for the floor areas
  5. Can you send us the Revit model? yes I can, shall I send it to insight360.support@autodesk.com ?  which file format do you need?

Regards,

Aurelie

Message 4 of 10
mstein7484

please send the .rvt file & let us know what version of Revit was used to create it.

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 10
aurelieL32JD

Greetings Project Team MEMBER To make sharing of files and knowledge easier, DSRA Architecture Inc. is providing you free access to the project information management system we use: Newforma® Project Center. It offers a simple, but secure environment for collaborating on a variety of processes and is accessible from anywhere there is an internet connection. Depending on your project role or scope, the following actions are possible:      Upload and download files      View project email      Access action items, submittals, RFIs, the project calendar, and moreGetting Started Here is your account information. Please click the link below to set your password and get started. Username:  autodesk.prod|4c870e9d|994c268f-9d22-4bde-bbc4-3833578ec842@reply01.lithium.comSet Password After setting up your password, you can use this link anytime to sign in to our site: Click to sign in Tip: Bookmark our page for easier access. If you would rather not manage multiple accounts, you can click to create a free Newforma® ID. Visit the Help section to view a Getting Started Guide as well as helpful videos. Important Information Regardless of the number of project files being sent or transferred, they will always download as a single, compressed .ZIP file.Some links may be encrypted with automatic download actions, which may cause a pop-up blocker to ask you for permission to download. To ensure the download functions correctly, please make sure to save the file to your local hard drive or server when prompted. Thank you for reviewing this message.  If you should have any further questions, please contact the DSRA Architecture Inc. Project Manager for assistance. DSRA Architecture Inc. 
Message 6 of 10
aurelieL32JD

I am trying to send those but they are 43MB so not sure if you received a link to download those?

a.

Message 7 of 10
mstein7484

I will invite you to our Autodesk Box account. What is your email address? You can send it to me via pm if you want.

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 10
aurelieL32JD

my email is aurelie@dsra.ca, 

thanks!

Message 9 of 10
mstein7484

you should be able to upload your model here:

https://autodesk.app.box.com/files/0/f/xxx-xxxxxxxx/Aurelie

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10
mstein7484

Hi Aurelie,

One of the people on our team took a look at your model and has some tips for you.

First of all, in order to create an energy model from a detailed architectural read and apply this section of the Revit help.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-32BD5A12-DF5B-4B51-B51A-D799C729A78A

You can also create massing or ‘mixed’ models quickly specially for energy analysis which is often easier and more informative, see:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-A77EF18D-0EB8-47D3-A653-6370D9F1374A

Beyond that some other tips:

• If possible upgrade to 2017
  • The object styles in the model are corrupt so the EAM (Energy Analytical Model) doesn’t appear properly, follow these steps:

o   Create a new project using the Architecture template

o   Open the model architecture 2017

o   On the Manage tab click the tool Transfer Project Standards

o   Click “Check None”, then check “Object styles” > OK > click “Overwrite”

o   >> Colors should update.

• In energy settings change mode to conceptual and building element’ also this model uses phases so set the energy setting h=phase to CP02-CFEI

He also found an 8”/4” resolution and found a small gaps in the basement. See the attached screenshot.

Let us know if you have more questions on this topic, otherwise please accept as a solution so that others can benefit from this information.

Regards,

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report