Community
Insight Energy Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Insight Energy Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Insight Energy topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Analysis - DOE-2 simulation

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jedwalpole
2546 Views, 7 Replies

Failed Analysis - DOE-2 simulation

I have tried to run an energy analysis by pressing Generate Insight. Each time I receive an email stating that my model has been received by Autodesk. About 5-10 minutes later I receive another email stating that my analysis has failed. Below it says "An error has occurred related to the DOE-2 simulation." And below that it says the error is "VERTICES are not counter-clockwise. Does anyone know what this means and how to fix it?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mstein7484
in reply to: jedwalpole

Hi @jedwalpole

There are two possible problems here. 

1. Your model may contain unintentionally small surfaces.

Decreasing the Analytical Space & Surface resolutions (use larger values) in the Energy Settings dialog window should solve the issue. In Revit go to Analyze tab > Energy Settings > set a larger number for Analytical Space Resolution and Analytical Surface Resolution. Changing this settings will have negligible impact on the energy analysis results.

2. This error may also occur when the model is located far from the origin 0,0,0. This is a known issue.

To address the issue, reset the coordinates closer to the model: In Revit, click Manage tabProject Location panelCoordinates drop-down (Specify Coordinates at Point). Pick a point in the model at the ground plane level, somewhere in the center of the building. Set X = 0, Y = 0, and Z to the ground plane level.

If these tips do not resolve the issue please do the following to help us investigate the problem:

1. Log into Green Building Studio https://gbs.autodesk.com with your Autodesk account (Green Building Studio is the analysis engine used by Insight 360)
  2. You will be taken to the Projects page
  3. Click on the Project associated with the failed analysis
  4. You will be taken to the Runs List page
  5. Open the Actions menu and select Export the run list to Excel
  6. You will see a Runid, please send us the Runid.

Let us know if you have more questions on this topic, otherwise please accept as a solution so that others can benefit from this information.

Regards,

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

insight.support@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 8
in reply to: mstein7484

Hi @mstein7484

I'm running on the Student Version 2018 Revit. I've been experiencing some problems with my building model and the latest is the model is unable to complete the analysis

I have followed steps one and two. Still getting failed runs.

RunID,AltRunID,DateAdded,Username,Title,StatusID,BuildingType,FloorArea,AnnualElecCost,AnnualFuelCost,AnnualElecDemand,AnnualElecUse,AnnualFuelUse,EUI,Notes,SIResults

Wasn't sure, If I was only supposed to sendn that line above so  I have attached the Excel file.

Thanks in advance,

Axel M

Message 4 of 8
marjoriestein
in reply to: 1061810

Hi @1061810

I was able to review some of the back-end energy files created by your failed analysis. Looks like your model is encountering both of the most common simulation errors. See Energy Simulation Failed. There are two constructions in your model with thermal properties exceeding the limits of the DOE2 simulation engines used by Insight. Wall construction “6 in insulation with 8 in…” has a very high thermal mass. Same with construction “4 in wood with 12 in…” Unfortunately there are no good specific guidelines about what parameters the constructions must meet in order to succeed--it is some numerical instability issue that DOE2 has with certain combinations of thermal properties.

Before editing the constructions, run the simulation with the default constructions (Go to Energy Settings, disable ‘Include Thermal Properties’) and Generate Insight again. If it succeeds then we know the constructions are the problem. If you want to include the custom constructions you will need to edit them so they have less thermal mass (remove some of the layers of insulation and/or reduce the thickness of the concrete).  

It also looks like there is still a problem with one of the surfaces being so small it is causing a vertices error. You went through the steps outlined here to change the coordinates? Energy Simulation Failed.

Create your 3D model and view it for gaps. See this topic About Understanding the Energy Model. Also review these topics on Analytical Space Resolution and Analytical Surface Resolution because your energy model has a lot of gaps in it. Maybe your attempts to fix the vertices issue lead to a “leaky” energy model.

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button if this solves your issue or answers your question so that others may also benefit from the information. If you still have no success you can send me your model.

Regards,
Marjorie
Message 5 of 8
in reply to: marjoriestein

Hi @marjoriestein

It worked, problem solved I have changed the building material and the Insight Analysis are working now. Can't locate the "Accept as solution" button tho.  So I just leave this comment. 

Thank you and regards,
Axel M

Message 6 of 8
std104101
in reply to: marjoriestein

Hello,

Im also using the student's version and get 'run failed' although checked the common issues. Could you please check the case ? Cause I cant figure out the problem.

Message 7 of 8
marjoriestein
in reply to: std104101

Hi @std104101,

For all three models, I suspect that the coordinates are too far from the origin. Reset the model origin. In Revit go to the Manage tab > Coordinates > Select “Specify Coordinates at a Point” > Choose a point somewhere in the model and set the X,Y,Z values to 0,0,0. Then try to Generate Insight again. Also go to the Energy Settings in the Energy Optimization panel in Revit and make sure the Energy Analytical Mode is set to "Use Conceptual Masses and Building Elements."

For all three cases the orientation looks the same. See the attached screenshots (I opened  the files generated by the analysis in another tool). In addition, for one of the cases several of the buildings are represented by only a few shade surfaces, and many other exterior surfaces on the other buildings are also represented as shades. This will cause these spaces to be ignored in the energy analysis. This happens when a volume (room or space) in your model is not enclosed by room-bounding surfaces. It’s is highly recommended that you view the Energy Model (automatically generated by Insight) in Revit before performing the Insight analysis. This will let you see ahead of time if there are any issues with how the model is represented. Please review this Help Topic for best-practice guidelines: Create the Energy Model: Detailed Architectural Model.

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button if this solves your issue or answers your question so that others may also benefit from the information.

Regards,
Marjorie
Message 8 of 8
ntiwari073
in reply to: mstein7484

Hey i have been trying the energy analysis for past one week and i am stuck with same error could you please look into and provide a solution to it .

Run id 1285094

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report