Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Trench design tools in IW

Pipe Trench design tools in IW

Infraworks is slowly but steadily shaping up to be a somewhat useful tool for infrastructure design. Even if Autodesk keeps thinking people want an application for 100% visualization and 0% design. It's unevitable going to change towards including design, as who wants to spend X amount of time to visualize a flawed design and not being able to edit it? It's unfortunately going very slow and just as with C3D it's 99% focused on road design.

My suggestion is for us Pipe Network designers:

Currently we can place pipes in 3d, one-by-one. Inspiring, isn´t it?

In pipe network design (distribution networks, etc) roads are irrelevant, as we place the pipes in the terrain where we want them.

Give us a real pipe design tool/interface that lets us:

- place multiple pipes at fixed mutual distances to eachother. As an assembly, basicly.

- set a fixed pipe cover (from surface).

- automatically create a trench / ditch corridor cut in the terrain with configurable slopes.

Apart from clash detection, the largest benefit of visualizing pipe networks in 3D is in my opinion modelling the trenches, in relation the your environment. It puzzles me why pipe trenches were not a focus-area from start with Infraworks as it is stated to be a tool for all infrastructure disciplines (not just roads).

The easiest approach would be to make a "component-road" style intended for pipe and trench design. But if you decide on it, please make it a proper pipe design tool (and not a reskinned road design tool, as in C3D).

Also, we need to be able to view and edit pipes in the profile viewer. If the argument is that "infraworks is not for detailed design. Its for visualization, bla bla bla" - well you've got profile views for roads... So why not pipes?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report