Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grips for Rotating an object in X and Y planes

Grips for Rotating an object in X and Y planes

It would be great if grips were added for rotating an object in the X and Y planes, not just only the Z plane.

You could turn these grips on and off by right-clicking a 3D model in the workspace, just like you do for showing roadside grading or design speed etc. 

Currently, you can only change the rotation from inside the properties panel with auto update turned on which can be trial and error at times because you'll rotate it too far, and to get it exactly where you want you have to keep entering in rotation values which is alot slower than just having a grip for it.

Also, it would be great if the properties pane automatically checked auto update.

4 Comments
scunningham
Autodesk

Thanks, Ethan. If I understand correctly, you'd like grips to replicate what you enter into the Rotate X,Y and Z fields in the Properties panel. Are the some assets you need this for more than others? (Just curious.)

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 1.35.54 PM.png

scunningham
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

e.fromont
Contributor

Hi Sarah

You've hit the nail on the head, that's exactly what I need.

Most people probably won't require this optional extra, so you could put an option in to turn these grips on and off by right-clicking a 3D model in the workspace, just like you do for showing roadside grading or design speed etc.

Currently, I have been needing to rotate 3D models (in the X and Y plane) like bus stops, line marking (which I have draped over a model as a barrier). I haven't required it for coverages or draped surfaces.

All of this is due to the fact that my terrain is on a slope, so I need the objects placed on the terrain to look level on that surface.

New Zealand has very undulating terrain, so no doubt, I will need to do this quite often.

daniel_lambert
Explorer

I am using the latest product, 2020.1, and there still appears to be no grip/gizmo added for vertical object rotation. Is this the case? This functionality would save me hours of typing and guessing precise vertical rotations. I have vertical structures that I am manually matching to point cloud data, and their rotation is a critically important value to our client.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report