Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use road borderlines to creat Road in Infraworks?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
CICAD-BIM-ADMIN
617 Views, 3 Replies

Use road borderlines to creat Road in Infraworks?

Hello everyone, 

I am now working on a subjets about getting the context(3D) of working sites from public databases.

We all know the data from BING map is not exactly accurate. Now I am trying to replace it with a more crédible local resource (I am using ArcMap to crop out the pieces that I want). 

Now I have a piece of land, I planted all the buildings with right hight. And I inserted the road axes and draped everything on the land surface. ESPCI-ROUTES.PNGESPCI-BATI-INFRA.PNG

As you can see, all the roads have the same width (there is no road width information in the shape file for the axes. 

So I am now trying to use other GIS resources to replace those roads. I have a shapefile which contains the borderline of all roads and sidewalks. ESPCI-Polygons des routes et trottoirs.PNG

So is it possible to creat roads with borderlines? Or do you guys have any other good way to do it? 

Here are the related files 

Model file: 217064

Sidwalks border lines: Sidewalks.shp

Road border lines: Roads.shp

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi @CICAD-BIM-ADMIN

I like the workflow you showed, but you will need to find a solution for the road centerlines.

Maybe you can use a GIS tool to extract the centerlines from ploygons?

You reached the point where ArcGis handles areas as roads and InfraWorks (Civil 3D) uses alignments and assemblies to build roads.

So, the short answer to your question: It is not possible to created roads from road border lines in InfraWorks nor Civil 3D.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 4

Hi @CICAD-BIM-ADMIN

maybe a workaround as you already have the road alignment centerlines: Use Civil 3D, create roads with the centerline alignments using a simple road assembly. Import the borders of the road and target the assemblies to the road borders. You will still need to manually edit the roads in few places (i.e. roundabouts, etc.).

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 4 of 4

Thanks anyway, it would be so much easier if there is a solution. I mean, there must be need out there, right? They should really work on it.  lol 

I guess I have to go back to Civil 3d.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report