Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rectangular pipes from Infraworks to civil

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
pozhidaevdn
1217 Views, 12 Replies

Rectangular pipes from Infraworks to civil

Hello!

I'm trying to transfer rectangular pipes from IW to C3D but i cant make it work right.

Long story short here is steps i do:

1) Import pipes to Infraworks as "drainage" using vrt and csv combination - works fine.

2) Export IW model to IMX.- works fine

3) Import exported IMX to C3D using metric pipe catalogs.

Here comes the problem - searching throught the catalog, C3D picks the nearest Height value of a pipe, but for all pipes it takes the first width value in the list.

For example - i have a pipe in infraworks with parameters: height - 1000mm width 900mm. In C3D i have a catalog of rectangular pipes with this pipes in it (in this exact sequence):

1) Pipe1 - H - 1000 W - 500

2) Pipe2 - H - 1000 W - 800

3) Pipe3 - H - 1000 W - 1000

So, when i import my pipe from IW to C3D with this catalog i got Pipe1 in a drawing because it is first in the list of 1000 height pipes ... Also nothing changes if i put a pipe with H1000 and W900 in this list on any position after first.

Any sugestions? How can i make C3D to pick a nearest width value but not first on a list?

PS. Also, if you gonna try something like this, take a note - civil takes IW pipe height as C3D pipe width 🙂 so you need to swap H and W in IW before IMX export.

PSS. I'm using C3D 2018 with all official patches and latest version of IW not trial nor cracked, all licensed

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
xiaoming.fei
in reply to: pozhidaevdn

Hi Danil,

Thanks for sharing this problem. We can reproduce it in C3D. The problem occurred when importing IMX to Civil. Since if importing the IMX back to InfraWorks, the pipe size was correct. A defect was logged for it.

You mentioned "civil takes IW pipe height as C3D pipe width"

For this issue, we didn't reproduce. Could you share InfraWorks and C3D detailed version? Just like C3D 12.0.1386.0, you could find it in Programs and Features.

Best Regards,

Felix

Message 3 of 13
pozhidaevdn
in reply to: xiaoming.fei

Thank you for an answer!

So can i expect any fixes or maybe some workaround to achieve a right rectangular pipes translation from IW to C3D?

My versions:

C3D: 12.0.842.0 + 2018.2 update - 12.0.1386.0

IW: 18.2.50.0

Also, i attached screenshots to illustrate this Width x Height situation. It apears on any pipe catalog: Ru, Standard Metric, Standard Imperial, Selfmade.

Message 4 of 13

Hi @pozhidaevdn

as @xiaoming.fei mentioned, the issue was reported to the development team and they are currently investigating for a solution.

Please give them some time.

Have you tried to open the InfraWorks model directly in Civil 3D - without the use of the IMX format (IMPORTAIWMODEL)? And does this work better?

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 13

Hello Karsten,
Thanks for answer, i just wanted to know if any work is happening with this issue on adsk side...

Yes i tried to import sqlite file - same result.

Message 6 of 13

Hi @pozhidaevdn

quick status update in this issue: The next update of Civil 3D 2019 (2019.1) will contain a fix for the issue.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 7 of 13

Great!

Thank you!

Message 8 of 13

So. Patch 2019.1 is live and it says:

• An issue where pipes were sized incorrectly when imported from InfraWorks has been resolved.

I installed the patch and tried to import my pipes from IW. Well, nothing changes...

C3D keepws geting first in list value even if there is exact one.

I created a video that ilustrates my workflow (see atachement). Maybe im doing something wrong?

PS. I also attached screenshot of the same pipe in Infraworks

PPS. I recorded a screencast: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/f19a6a1b-5737-4fc9-bf9e-38a3657986bd

It is without text notes, attached video has them.

Message 9 of 13

Hi @pozhidaevdn

I am really sorry, but the issue isn't fixed with the 2019.1 update.

According to the information from our Development Team the next update should contain it.

Tomasz Piotrowski
Product Owner/ QA Engineer - RSA Project
Message 10 of 13

Well, 2019.2 is out. Problem still exist 😞

Message 11 of 13

Hi @pozhidaevdn,

I just learned that the issue was fixed partly only.

Now, the behavior is just matching the "height" by finding the first rectangular pipe in pipe catalog list. The width won't be matched, only if it happens to be that the first item in the pipe catalog has the correct width already. It is considered that the behavior is actually by design.

Our development team is investigating on a solution to match height and width at the same time correctly.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 12 of 13

Hi @pozhidaevdn,

I have received the message that this issue is fully fixed with Civil 3D 2020.
Please let me know if you find any open problem in the issue after testing with the new version.
Traditionally, the release month for new annual versions is April....

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 13 of 13

Fixed in 2020!
Finally:)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report