Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incorrect MrSid location

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
abrooker
664 Views, 10 Replies

incorrect MrSid location

I have a MrSid file that I am trying to get to lineup in InfraWorks. When I bring it into Civil 3D (using Raster Design with the coordinate system UTM83-12IF) it comes in the right location but it does not do this in InfraWorks when also using UTM83-12IF to configure the Raster.

Below is the georeference information from the sdw file:

Any ideas or help is much appreciated!
Adam

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: abrooker

Hi @abrooker

I cannot say why you see the image at the correct location in RasterDesign, but UTM83-12IF has untits International Feet.

The header file you are showing is metric, seem as if the image has a 25cm pixel size and placed somwhere in a UTM based metric coordinates system or other local metric system.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 11
abrooker
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Hi Karsten,

Interesting observation about the pixel size. I tried setting it to UTM83-12 (metric) but it still doesn't work.

The two coordinates at the end (1705150.125 & 11567439.875) are definitely in feet.

When Raster Design inserts the image correctly the MrSID image insertion point is X = 1705150.0   Y = 11541940.0 (properties screenshot attached).

I just don't understand why it works with Raster Design but not with InfraWorks. My guess is because InfraWork isn't reading the sdw file (screenshot attached).

Thanks for your help!

Adam

Message 4 of 11
abrooker
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Karsten,

Do you know if there is anyway to manually set the position and scale of Raster images in InfraWorks?

I've done this with 3D AutoCAD files of Buildings (in inches and with a similar x/y offset) and it worked great:

IW Buildings Data Source Configuration.png

I tried applying the same logic to the Raster image but it doesn't let me use a Local Origin and only lets me adjust these settings when configuring using a Terrain Overlays type anyways:

IW Raster Data Source Configuration.png

Message 5 of 11
Bart.Chen

A world file has no capability to define a projection or coordinate reference system. So make sure you have the correct CS with the correct units assigned to the image.

I am interested in the difference for the 'wrong' position in AIW compared with the the expected one in C3D so that we can look into it. 

What's the CS assigned to the drawing in C3D? Is is the same as the one assigned to the image by RD? And what's the CS assigned to the city model in AIW? If you wanted to see the same insertion point, please make sure they are the same. 

Bart.Chen@autodesk.com

Message 6 of 11
Bart.Chen

To your question about customized correlation in AIW for a raster image, if it's assigned to a 'terrain' or a 'ground imagery', it is expected to have a defined CS and correlation information, so customization is disabled. You can used other geo-spacial imagery processing tools like Raster Design to make sure it's 'geo-referenced'-ready before-hand. 

Message 7 of 11
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @abrooker

hm - that is strange.

If @Bart.Chen's suggestions don't help solving the issue, is it possible to share the MrSID file, so that I can do some testing on my side?

Best Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 8 of 11
abrooker
in reply to: Bart.Chen

Hi Bart,

The CS assigned to the working C3D/RD drawing is UTM83-12IF:

C3D&RD Coordinate System.png

The CS assigned to the AIW Database is LL84 with a UCS of UTM83-12IF:

IW Coordinate System.png

Does the AIW Database need to be set to UTM83-12IF as well? In AIW, when I set the raster to UTM83-12IF and wait for it to finishing refreshing, I do not see any of the imagery on my terrain at all.

RD is scaling the image up 12 times and it works. Maybe it's coming into AIW w/o scaling (i.e. 12 times too small)? I've tried so many combinations of things I just can't get it to display any of aerial imagery I see completely and correctly in C3D/RD.

Message 9 of 11
tmachado

Hi abrooker,

I am curious, have you try to create a new World File using Raster Desing?... this is the command just in case IWORLDOUT

Please try that so you can compare the two insertion point files to see what is the difference between them.

Then try to insert the image into IW using the new word file, now if the problem is scaling them use IEXPORT to create a new image and word file this could be a good workaround.

Hope this help.

Hope this will help!

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the LIKES button

Tatiana Machado
BIM Manager/ Autodesk Certified Instructor
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
InfraWorks Ambassador

Message 10 of 11
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @abrooker

you InfraWorks CS setup should work.

The database is in LL84 - so all data imported will be transformed to this CS internally.

The UCS is the setting for the coordinates you see in the lower left corner.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 11 of 11
BrianHailey

I deleted this post because I realized I used an image that was intentionally shifted.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report