Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help importing a point cloud from ReCap - coordinates are not correct

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
lidar-mobile
874 Views, 2 Replies

Help importing a point cloud from ReCap - coordinates are not correct

I have a las data file. The coordinates are an arbitrary x,y,z file (local coordinates). Not a published coordinate system. I'm fine with that and hope to process the data through various Autodesk products; Recap->Infraworks->C3D

I imported the LAS file into Recap. The coordinates I see are fine and what I expect.

I export the file as an RCP & RCS

I create an Infraworks new model and set the coordinate system XY-M. When I try to “configure” the data source that’s when I run into problems. I choose xy-m but Infraworks won’t let me close and refresh. 

Was hoping someone could provide  a couple pointers. Can’t  figure out how to get my local coordinates to show up in Infraworks – I’ve tried a lot of combinations! 

SnipImage.JPG

I found if I import the RCS file into C3D all works fine. I see the coordinates I am expecting. If I attach the RCP file C3D isn't happy.

Cheers,

Paul

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Paul,

I think Infraworks needs some form of coordinate system information to place the data source (in this case its point cloud data) in the world. Here (http://autodesk.typepad.com/bimagination/2014/12/best-practices-for-using-coordinate-systems-in-infr...) is some additional information about coordinate systems in InfraWorks.

Regards,

Ramesh S
Product Manager - Infrastructure Solutions

Ramesh.Sridharan@autodesk.com

Ramesh Sridharan
Product Manager
Message 3 of 3
lidar-mobile
in reply to: lidar-mobile

Solution:

Cycled through a number of Model Property USC settings and Data Source Configuration Geo Location coordinate settings and this is what finally worked.

Although the source data coordinates used were a local grid (arbitrary coordinates XY-M) InfraWorks wont recognize that setting XY-M. Setting the Model Property USC setting to XY-M is fine but Infraworks wont allow that selection as the source coordinates when  setting up the Data Source Configuration.

However,  if you set the Model USC coordinates and the Geo Location coordinate to any other grid settings than all works fine.

So I get to work in the data's original coordinates. Not sure what kind of trouble I'll get in down the road, but that's another issue.

@lidar-mobile wrote:

I have a las data file. The coordinates are an arbitrary x,y,z file (local coordinates). Not a published coordinate system. I'm fine with that and hope to process the data through various Autodesk products; Recap->Infraworks->C3D

I imported the LAS file into Recap. The coordinates I see are fine and what I expect.

I export the file as an RCP & RCS

I create an Infraworks new model and set the coordinate system XY-M. When I try to “configure” the data source that’s when I run into problems. I choose xy-m but Infraworks won’t let me close and refresh. 

Was hoping someone could provide  a couple pointers. Can’t  figure out how to get my local coordinates to show up in Infraworks – I’ve tried a lot of combinations! 

SnipImage.JPG

I found if I import the RCS file into C3D all works fine. I see the coordinates I am expecting. If I attach the RCP file C3D isn't happy.

Cheers,

Paul

Cheers,

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report