Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBX to Navisworks scale issue

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Matt__W
1742 Views, 3 Replies

FBX to Navisworks scale issue

When I export a portion of a site to FBX format then append it in Navisworks, the scale of the FBX is off. See this screen capture showing the issue.

How can I correct this??

Distance in Navisworks

Capture.PNG

Distance in InfraWorks

Capture.PNG

It appears to be scaling down based on a variant of 3.28084 (like 1/10th of that) which is the conversion factor of feet to meters.

Is there a way to correct this from the get go so I don't have to transform the model in Navisworks? I'd rather not have to touch it because I want it to line up with other models (Civil 3D and Revit) which are all currently geo-located correctly.

Thanks!

Matt Wunch
Revit Subject Matter Expert/sUAS Pilot

Twitter | LinkedIn

AU2017 - Code Blue Dr Revit - How to Resuscitate Corrupt Revit Models

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: Matt__W

The FBX is probably fine, it's likely Navisworks is attempting to second-guess the units based on the NWF being appended to.  I sometimes get the same thing with civil grade models in meters (albeit it's all metric so it comes out "right" more often than not) which I can fix by changing units and changing the appended model scale factor by 1000.

What happens if you change the units of the appended FBX?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 4
Matt__W
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was looking under the options dialog at the units. I had to go to the SELECTION TREE > .FBX MODEL > UNITS AND TRANSFORM > MODEL UNITS and change it from MM to FEET.

Capture.PNG

Thanks again!

Matt Wunch
Revit Subject Matter Expert/sUAS Pilot

Twitter | LinkedIn

AU2017 - Code Blue Dr Revit - How to Resuscitate Corrupt Revit Models

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button.

Message 4 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: Matt__W

Whoops - should have specified the entry in the selection tree.  You got to the right place anyways.

If you're going to do this regularly you might want to follow a suggestion by some other Navisworks users, to create a "template NWF".  By loading a dummy file with the correct units into a blank NWF, every subsequent append/merge will try to accommodate those units.  So when needing a new NWF you grab a copy of the right one (set up for feet, meters, etc.) and there's less futzing around.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report