Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Data importing error - from Revit

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
Mpcconsultora
2438 Views, 24 Replies

Data importing error - from Revit

When I imported a Revit Model to Infraworks, the following warning appeared:

IW Importing error.JPG

When IW imported the model, it completely looked grayed colored.

Can the problem be that I already installed Infraworks 2020 and Revit is still on 2019 version? Or the issue is otherone? If so, how can I solve it.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Also I am having problems with the Revit model Scale, doesnt fit the Infraworks Scale and I have to transform the Scale values (X,Y,Z) by mulplying these values by 0.3048. As if I were transforming from meters to feets. I have never worked any of the files in feets. And then, after scaling the model, if I measure any element of my revit model, the units are meters and it has the real dimension

Message 3 of 25
wpagl452
in reply to: Mpcconsultora

Hi @Mpcconsultora, would you mind attaching the Revit file so I can test importing it?

All the best,
Winston
Message 4 of 25
wpagl452
in reply to: wpagl452

Hi @Mpcconsultora; thanks for sending me that model!

Please check that you have material libraries installed for 2020. I've attached a picture of my control panel for reference. 

Please also check that the Override All Materials is unchecked under the 3D Model tab of the source configuration. 

I should also mention that custom materials/textures from Revit will not come into Infraworks. It appears that some in your model were custom, but others came in better for me that the picture you attached.

All the best,
Winston
Message 5 of 25
Mpcconsultora

Hi @wpagl452, what would be the solution? It is not clear for me. I'm actually working with IW 2020. I've imported before some Revit models into IW and they came with the textures and materials, this is the first time this occurs.

What can I do?

Also, I have the issue of scale, that it seems that Revit model is in feet, when I work it in meters. I had to scale the Revit model in IW as if it was in feet.

Waiting for a solution.

Message 6 of 25
wpagl452

Hi @Mpcconsultora

I know you have Infraworks 2020, which is why you need to make sure that you have the 2020 materials library installed (see my previous post). It should have installed with Infraworks 2020, but perhaps something went wrong with the install. If you do not have it installed, please follow this article to install it.

If you do have it already installed, then perhaps your source configuration is incorrect. Please see my previous post to make sure that Override All Materials in unchecked. Note that your custom Revit materials will not come in; I got a message when I imported your Revit model saying that there were some custom materials. 

All the best,
Winston
Message 7 of 25
Mpcconsultora

The problem is that the Revit version that I still have is 2019, en the Revit model is in that version. I tried open the Revit Model (2019) with InfraWorks 2019 as well, and it opened it adequately.

My question would be: How can I solve this version problem without updating Revit to 2020?

Please help me with the other question (above) about scaling Revit model as if it was in imperial units into Infraworks.

Message 8 of 25

Hi @Mpcconsultora ,

can you install the Material Library 2020 separately from this site and test again?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/infraworks/troubleshooting/caas/simplecontent/content/to-inst...

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 9 of 25

Hi @Mpcconsultora ,

I would like to follow up with you and see if your issue is solved in the meantime.

Have you been successful in installing the material libraries 2020?

And are materials available now in InfraWorks?

Regards,

Karsten

Karsten Saenger
Message 10 of 25

Hi @Karsten.Saenger

As I mentioned @wpagl452, the solution to my problem was using Revit and Infraworks in the same version. I haven't installed Revit 2020 or other AEC Collection yet, excepto Infraworks. So I go back to IW 2019 and I could see adequately the materials.

My problem is still that I don't undestand why is it necessary to scale a Revit model into IW as if the revit was in Feet, because I'm working both in metric units.

Hope you can answer.

Message 11 of 25

Hi @Mpcconsultora ,

thanks for the confirmation.
I still think the issue could also be solved by installing the adequate (full) 2020 material library. I know that it's hard to find it online as separate download.

In the past, I helped my self by downloading the 3ds Max installation files. I searched for the material libraries in the installation folders and just installed these. Probably, the same can be done with the Revit installation files (haven't tested this).

Regarding to the feet units of the Revit model, are you following the best practices to import a Revit file into InfraWorks (http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/Best-Practice-Bring-in-Revit-Models-into-InfraWorks)?

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 12 of 25

Hi @Karsten.Saenger:

I did exactly what the ā€œCES226263: A Match Made in Coordinates: Bringing Revit, Civil 3D, and InfraWorks Together at Lastā€.

It was very helpfull, but I still have a problem. First of all, I am working in meters. So, I did everything that the class handout says, and worked well until I wanted to import into Infraworks.

In Civil 3D, as the class says, I could link the revit model (see image below).

Revit model integrated into Civil 3DRevit model integrated into Civil 3D

The Revit model that you see in Civil 3D (image above) is the FBX that I exported from Naviswork Manage (see image below):

Exporting Revit Model in Navisworks (fbx)Exporting Revit Model in Navisworks (fbx)

As you can see, in the dialog box I choose meters in the convert units option. But when I import the fbx model in Infraworks (the same fbx that I imported in Civil 3D and worked ok) I am not able to see it. If I see the model options, the roof height is 40.016m when it is actualy 12.2meters, if I divide this to values it result 3.28 (factor conversion between feet and meters). With this I conclude that Infraworks is considerating that the building model is in feet, and I don't know why if Civil 3D imported correctly.

Please, help me to solve this, if not please call again @wpagl452 or someone who want to solve this problem. It's being long time ago since wrote my issues and still have the same problem. It's a shame.

Message 13 of 25

@Karsten.Saenger @wpagl452 here is the Infraworks Image that I forgot to include in the last post.

Roof height in InfraworksRoof height in Infraworks

Message 14 of 25

Hi @Mpcconsultora ,

there is a limitation in InfraWorks regarding the import of Revit models and units. In InfraWorks you always want to use feet for the Revit data source configuration, even if you model is definitely meter.

Meter should work for FBX files though. Is it possible to share the surface and the Revit/FBX file, so that I can test on my system?

I will share a OneDrive folder with you for the data upload.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 15 of 25

@Karsten.Saenger I sent you via private message a Google Drive link with what you asked.

Message 16 of 25

Hallo @Mpcconsultora ,

I have tested your files and the workflow you followed is using the "shared reference point" which works fine for Civil 3D and Navisworks.

For InfraWorks, there is a known issue that our development team is working on.

Please follow the suggestions in the article I have sent you - there is a PDF file attached that shows a process that works.

Alternatively

• use the FBX format for data exchange. With your FBX file there is something wrong with units as the meter-numbers seem to be multiplied by ~3.x but the file still is defined in meter.
  • use the DWG file that you already have placed the Revit file in and import as "AutoCAD DWG (3D objects)"

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 17 of 25

Hi @Karsten.Saenger .

Where did you sent the article? I haven't receive it. 

The rest of the recomendations I followed them. But I think the importance here is to solve it the correct way. Still waiting for a solution.

Message 18 of 25
wpagl452

Hi @Mpcconsultora.

I'm not sure about the article and PDF @Karsten.Saenger mentioned; maybe he can shed light on that.

Regardless, have you tried the alternatives posted earlier to avoid the Revit scaling issue mentioned previously? Either import the Revit model configured with US units, or try the alternative like inserting the Revit model into Civil and then the Civil model into Infraworks.

All the best,
Winston
Message 19 of 25
Mpcconsultora

Hi @wpagl452

I tried importing the C3D file with the Revit model and I got the following errors.

error 1.JPGerror 2.JPG

Message 20 of 25
wpagl452

In my opinion the scaling issue affects FBX format as well, at least in this case. Configure the FBX file using feet and then the model is correct in Infraworks (I just tested this). I have not tested the Civil 3D workaround using your files, but if you configure using feet, you won't need to use the workaround.

All the best,
Winston

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Ā 

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Ā