Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water shader colouring

Water shader colouring

This has been brought up many times in different places but never in the idea station I noticed. So now, the official idea; can we have an option to colour the caribbean water shader Smiley Wink

Then we can create these type of really nice Amsterdam canals:

2016-04-01_15-24-03.png

10 Comments
zhukoven.com
Advocate

It would be also great to be able to change water transparency.

John_DeLeeuw
Advisor

@zhukoven.com, water transparency would only work when terrain sublayers become available in IW. At the moment we only have one master terrain layer Smiley Wink

dcutter
Enthusiast

I'll settle for being able to change the color of the water for now. This must be coded somewhere that we can get to. The water has color now. Where is that controlled? Even if it fixed in a material, where is the material so I can make changes to it?

srksphillips
Advocate

I would also like to see an overhaul of the built in water shader as the current one is very limited. You only have to look at the water shaders in game engines to see the potential. 

Options I would love:

• Colour 
  • Transparency
  • If transparency is available an option to darken or change the texture/colour of underlying terrain layers below the water
  • Waves/Ripples for water bodies (to simulate sea, rivers, lakes, ponds etc e.g. height, speed, direction,
  • Simulate water flowing along river alignment
  • Shoreline Generation (waves interacting with terrain e.g. like waves breaking)
  • Caustics effects
ddschneider1972
Contributor

The only time I've ever seen rivers so blue was when the Cubs won the World Series....looks like we're going to need to wait until they win another before they change this. 

srksphillips
Advocate

I discovered you can change the colour via the Model Explorer by Activating Highlighting. Change the colour by right-clicking the Water Areas and choosing  Set Highlighting Color...

It's a bit limiting and it can look odd if you get it wrong but hey, that's all I have as a workaround. Make sure you only use very dark colours or it will look like it contains nuclear waste! Note that the colour is also displayed when rendering.

Manipulating the water colour by highlighting itManipulating the water colour by highlighting it

John_DeLeeuw
Advisor

@srksphillips , thanks for your post.

This helps indeed, there is only one drawback and that is that highlights are not being saved by IW. So you need to switch them on every time you open the model again. But, still, better something then nothing to alter the color 😉

srksphillips
Advocate

@John_DeLeeuw 

Yes that is indeed correct, however it's reassuring to know that IW saves the colours. So as a workaround it is pretty easy to pop it back on. Also you can add a bunch of colours to your Custom Colors 

Seen as there are so many questions and requests regarding the water shader I was hoping this would have been addressed after 6 years! I am starting to look at using Unreal Engine instead due to the limitations of IW.

ramesh_sridharan
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Hi @John_DeLeeuw @srksphillips @ddschneider1972 @dcutter @zhukoven.com,

I want to let you know that our team was checking on the watercolor shader in Infraworks and would be interested to show you the current prototype and get your feedback on your expectations. Please reach out to us (ramesh.sridharan@autodesk.com) if you are interested.

Thanks,

srksphillips
Advocate

@ramesh_sridharan I would be happy to provide feedback on your water shader. I have just sent you an email.

Cheers,

Steve

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report