Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geotechnical Options

Geotechnical Options

I was working with a client on a project the other day, and I was showing them IW360. While they were impressed, one thing came up as a wishlist item; Geotechnical. They liked the pipe networks, but was wondering if there was a way to show the geotech surfaces under the terrain surface. I explained that I might create some in another program and import them into IW.

While this manual approach might work, it would be even better to bring in geotech data and have IW build the surfaces for you. Then allow the user to add thematic attributes to color the layers, show section cutaways (this is a separate request), interact with some of the watershed tools. These surfaces would also be useful in visualizing FAA approach surfaces for airports, weather layers, CFD layers and other similar surfaces. I am sure there are some geotech engineers out there with some comments.

4 Comments
TrevN
Collaborator

You can use the geotechnical add-on within Civil 3D and then import the strata layers as solids. Doesn't cover all you want, but goes someway towards it.

Nicola_Ianeselli
Collaborator

Hi @mark_kauffman,

hi @TrevN,

I would love to see something like this implemented into IW360.

Thank you very much

bcarriere
Advocate

While the geotechnical module creates strata layers that can be imported into InfraWorks, the surface layer transparencies do not go far enough. I have imported strata layers into InfraWorks, made the terrain surface transparent, but can only see the top strata layer. It seems that you cannot make more than one surface layer transparent. We need to be able to see through multiple sub-surface layers without creating a hole in the terrain.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm going to weigh in on this too... only allowing 1 surface layer is annoying.... it would be excellent if you could import and visiualise multiple strata. In I360.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report