Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tunnel through building

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
urszimmermann007
801 Views, 8 Replies

Tunnel through building

Hi there

any Ideas how to create a tunnel through a building?

I end up with the building blocking the road.

thanks for any hints

Urs

1.GIF

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

@urszimmermann007, there is only one way to tackle this and that is to model your 3D Building in another application like AutoCAD, Revit or Formit and then import that in your model with the hole in it already. 

John de Leeuw
Senior Consultant

Community Ambassador - Twitter - LinkedIn

Message 3 of 9
roskirko
in reply to: urszimmermann007

You may also simulate the geometry of the building by creating it in sections having elevation variations (offsets) of the components over the tunnel roof.

Geographic Information Systems
Fanshawe College
Message 4 of 9
Nicola_Ianeselli
in reply to: roskirko

Hi @roskirko,

I do believe that @John_DeLeeuw's suggestion is probably a lot simpler to have the total control of the geometry of the building.

You can also divide it into pieces (one piece on the left of the tunnel, one above, and one on the right), but this is even worse. It is another workaround.

Nicola Ianeselli
BIM Manager

Twitter | LinkedIn

Infraworks Ambassador

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button

Message 5 of 9
roskirko
in reply to: Nicola_Ianeselli

For those knowing Revit well, of course, this is an ideal solution. I myself, have used AutoCAD since its inception in 1982 and would not be able to use Revit to accomplish the task.

I, instead, would fly a drone; take photo images; create an Autodesk ReCap Photo project; create the Point Cloud and then a 3D model form that (obj file for example) and then place it in Infraworks as a 3D model.

There is more than one way to skin this cat.

Fanshawe College
Message 6 of 9
JasonArtley

I would model the building in Sketchup personally. However you could also do a 3 piece building in Infraworks. One small piece on each side of the tunnel, and another full footprint for the top, using the Z offset (blue arrow on gizmo) to lift the building on top of the other pieces. Depending on the building style you choose, this can make a fairly convincing building. 

Quick attempt with the 3 piece building method: 

tunnelbldg.JPG

Good luck! Please post your finished product when you're done!

Message 7 of 9
roskirko
in reply to: JasonArtley

Good job; that is what I do when needed - quick and simple.

Fanshawe College
Message 8 of 9
urszimmermann007

Hi all

thanks for your ideas - great variety to choose from!

I tried the clever "quick and dirty" approach with three building parts, defining an Elevation Offset for the middle one.

that Looks great from one side:

2.GIF

but since the road has a slope and I couldn't define that for the middle building floor, the tunnel back door is still blocked:

3.GIF

so i'll give Revit a try.

thanks anyway,

Urs

Message 9 of 9

Hi @urszimmermann007,

if you do not need any specific information within the building I suggest AutoCAD or Sketchup, they will proabably create a lighter model than Revit.

Nicola Ianeselli
BIM Manager

Twitter | LinkedIn

Infraworks Ambassador

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report