Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project coordinate system scaling

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
DaneMartin
1235 Views, 12 Replies

Project coordinate system scaling

When building a InfraWorks 360 model do you have the option to scale the coordintate system as it comes into the model?  We have projects that uses state plane coordinates scaled up to ground for true ground distances.  In AutoCAD Civil 3D drawings we are able to apply this scale factor to the GIS data or aerials to match the ground survey data for design.  It would be great to use this scaling in the same way for the InfraWorks model so it can be used throughout design in conjunction with AutoCAD Civil 3D.

Thanks,

Dane

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi Dane,

I am curious, where do you assign a scaling for teh coordinate system in Civil 3D?

Do you create a custom coordinate system definition?

In general InfraWorks, Map 3D and Civil 3D share the same coordinate system. So, any custom coordinate system should display in the list and should be able to be used in all three programs.

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 13

I guess what I meant by "apply this scale factor" is that I actually use the SCALE command in AutoCAD to scale GIS & aerial data from 0,0 by the factor to get the data to match the ground coordinates. Maybe this can be done in the Transformation tab of the Drawing settings.  

Dane

Message 4 of 13

Hi Dane,

you are correct, try scaling the data source in the configuration:

2015-07-22_0848.png

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 13

For some raster TIFF images that have the World file in use, how do you apply the scale factor if the portion of the dialog box is grayed out?  See attached.  I have gotten the surface scaled through survey drawing in Civil3D.  I just need the aerials scaled to have the InfraWorks model match the Civil3D model.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Dane

Message 6 of 13

Hi @DaneMartin

with a world file in use I expect that the image cannot be scaled and the area is greyed out as you show in your image once you have assigned a coordinate system (CS). The program takes all information from the world file together with the CS.

You should be able to scale the image if ou choose as CS "XY-M" or "XY-FT", then use your known CS as reference, select scaling, offset, interactive placement (?) as desired.

Regards,
Karsten

Karsten Saenger
Message 7 of 13

Hi Karsten,

I am having the same problem. I am using the latest version. When I use the Scale as you show it just scales the object. It does not modify the object's x or y coordinates.

Thanks,

Ali

Message 8 of 13

Hi @alicetin5748

youi have several fields in the data source configuration, one is for scaling in X,Y and Z. There is another one for offset to X,Y and Z. If you want to change/move the origin point or place where the object is placed.

Note and general tip: Always use true dimensions in InfraWorks or other programs that work with coordinate systems. If you need objects scaled or moved, then do that before the import. Otherwise you will run into problems some time later in the workflow where objects are not at the correct place or wrong dimension.

Does that help?

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 9 of 13
mzjensen
in reply to: DaneMartin

Dane,

This is an old post, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. We also use state planes coordinates with a grid/ground scale factor. The cleanest workflow that I've found is to create a custom coordinate system definition in Civil 3D using the MAPCSCREATE command. You can start with a state planes grid as a template and then change the false easting and scale factor to match with your project settings.

InfraWorks and Civil 3D share the same coordinate system library, so your custom coordinate system will show up as an option in InfraWorks when adding data sources.

Let me know if a more detailed walkthrough or screencast would help.

Zachri Jensen, PE   |  
Message 10 of 13
DaneMartin
in reply to: mzjensen

It's an old post, although I am still dealing with the issue.  I found a website that walked me through the setting on the Create Coordinate System, but when it got to the false Easting and the Scale reduction it had me multiply the given information by the combined scale factor of the project.  See attachments.  This got Bing aerial to come closer, but was still off by about 30 feet.  If you could send me a description on what to change on the False Easting and the Scale Reduction that would be great.  Or a Screencast would work too.  I appreciate any help on the matter.

Thanks,

Dane

Message 11 of 13
mzjensen

Yes, that is what I've done in the past. I'm not sure why it isn't working for you. I can try it on my end and see if I notice anything wrong. Can you attach some linework that is on your project coordinates? Also, what state planes grid are you using and what is the combined factor?

Zachri Jensen, PE   |  
Message 12 of 13
DaneMartin
in reply to: mzjensen

Yes, the coordinate system is MO83-WF and the scale factor is 0.9999028404/1.xxx-xxxxxxxx.  I attached some line work in a drawing.  The attached image is after I used the Create Coordinate System adjustments. 

So, the normal process is to multiply the false easting and the scale reduction by the scale factor?

Thanks,

Dane

Message 13 of 13
mzjensen

Yes, you would multiply both numbers by the grid-to-ground factor (i.e. greater than 1) to get up to ground coordinates.

I tried this using your combined factor and it looks closer, but still not quite right (attached). The only other thing I can suggest is to double-check that combined factor with the surveyors.

Zachri Jensen, PE   |  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report