Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Cloud for Arch Visualisation Project

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
can_glasgow
757 Views, 3 Replies

Point Cloud for Arch Visualisation Project

Hello,

I am trying to assemble a realtime architectural presentation and would like to use a combination of a 3D urban context model (Max), a detailed laser scan of the existing building (terrestrial scan data - ReCap), and then the proposed building addition (CAD imported into Max). All brought into Infraworks as the presentation tool.

The realtime engine in ReCap is excellent and can handle large datasets (400+ terrestrial scans) with relatively great movement and image quality but it can't incorporate 3D geometry.  My understanding is that Infraworks can offer similar presentation capabilities - scan data and 3D CAD. 

I have just started using Infraworks and it seems like to correct application but imported scan data looks completely black. My questions, has anyone used Infraworks this way? Is there a limit to the amount of scan data the software can handle, and is the image quality of point data be comparable to ReCap?

Thank you,

DP

...and one last question, is there a simple way to convert basic 3D geometry, a 'dumb' 3D mesh, so that it is recognised within Infraworks as a terrain object?   

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Matt__W
in reply to: can_glasgow

Not sure what's going on with the point cloud. Maybe check the settings and see if anything looks out of whack there. I've brought in a single RCS file (comprised of 100+ scans) and it looks fine.

IW_PC_SETTINGS.PNGIW_POINT_CLOUD.PNG

As for the "dumb" 3D mesh, when you import the data you just need to define it as a terrain object.

IW_TERRAIN.png

Matt Wunch
Revit Subject Matter Expert/sUAS Pilot

Twitter | LinkedIn

AU2017 - Code Blue Dr Revit - How to Resuscitate Corrupt Revit Models

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button.

Message 3 of 4

Hi @can_glasgow

the scan data in InfarWorks should look the same as in Recap.

There are some settings for the point cloud and 3D visualisation in InfraWorks as well as style setting for the point cloud. Please check these to correct you display issues. More info on:

Regarding the "dumb" 3D mesh it's not that easy. The 3D mesh will probably be recognized as 3D model in InfraWorks and not as a surface.

If you had Civil 3D you could convert the mesh to 3D faces and then add them to a surface and export as IMX. You can also convert the 3D mesh to points and import these into InfraWorks for surface triangulation. There is quite a number of possibilities, without having a look at the dataset it's difficult to suggest the best one.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 4 of 4
John_DeLeeuw
in reply to: can_glasgow

@can_glasgow, make sure you have your InfraWorks 360 Application Options > 3D Graphics > Ambient Occlusion > set to either Off or Medium because High will produce black issues with PointClouds as seen below:

2016-08-22_09-51-54.jpg2016-08-22_09-51-22.jpg

John de Leeuw
Senior Consultant

Community Ambassador - Twitter - LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report