Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change color of inraworks city furniture 3D models

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
urszimmermann007
1797 Views, 6 Replies

change color of inraworks city furniture 3D models

Hi Forum

in my infraworks Project I added some cars and the city bus out of the City furniture > vehicules Palette. Now the blue bus seems to distract our People too much becaucse all our City buses happen to be painted in red. To get peoples attention back to the Project I would like to Change the Color of the bus or other City furniture objects. How can I do that?

Thanks for any hints

Urs

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi @urszimmermann007

a 3D model is imported into InfraWorks as "fixed model", it is not possible to re-color it partly.

You have the possibility to overwrite all colors in the 3D model with one other color, but this is for the whole 3D model.

The oly solution is to open the 3D model in another 3D editing program, change colors there and export as new 3D model - then import into InfraWorks.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 7

Hi Karsten

Thanks for your quick reply.

To open and modify the model in another Program, I need to have a file. Despite lots of searching on my hard disc I'm not able to find the file behind this city bus – European Model:

Nor did I find a way to export it out of InfraWorks. Did I misunderstood you or have I just overseen the file?

bus.GIF

And what about your first suggestion to change the color in the whole model, could you spare a few sentences to explain the steps?

Thank you very much

Cheers

Urs

Message 4 of 7

Hello @urszimmermann007

I am sorry, I was under the impression that you imported your own 3D model.
This usually gets converted to a SFF file internally. If you add your own 3D model (FBX, OBJ, etc) you have the option to overwrite materials in the data source configuration.
If you use 3D models from the style palettes this is not avialbale as an option.

You can see that the 3D model from a style palettes is also a SFF file:

2017-03-27_1703.png

I don't know any other 3D program that can read those SFF files. Maybe someone else has a good tip.

So, as conclusion, if you are using the out of the box InfraWorks 3D models from the style palettes you pretty much need to accept the look.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 7

You can export a portion of your model that contains the object you want to modify. Click on "Export 3D Model" and draw a polygon around the object. This will create a .fbx file you can modify in your 3D Software. 

However the faster way, and what I would do, would be to just find a red bus in the 3D Warehouse of Sketchup. Export this as a .dae file and import into Infraworks as a 3D model. 

Message 6 of 7

Importing a red car is the most straightforward way for this.

One more workaround for color city furniture in model level in InfraWorks is using highlight colors.  You find it in Model Explorer-> City Furniture, right click city furniture, 'Set Highlighting color' and check 'Highlight'. Please notice that all city furniture objects will be highlighted in this color. Not sure if this meets your requirement.   

cityfurniture.png

Message 7 of 7

thanks for all your ideas and Information.

we can Keep the following Points:

- City furniture 3D models that come along with InfraWorks can not be modified

- those 3D models can be exported (as JasonMN explained). You can choose Multiple Export files get an fbx-file of your City furniture Model of choice. Bus_export.GIF

To modify those *.fbx is a different Story...

- if you are not happy with the 3D models provided by InfraWorks, don't try to modify them but search elsewhere for models you like.

cheers

Urs

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report