Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridge Design Pier Cap Width

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
alicetin5748
2862 Views, 21 Replies

Bridge Design Pier Cap Width

Hello,

I am trying to change the Pier Cap Width: Left or Cap Width: Right property since the one that I have for an existing bridge has a shorter width than the bridge span. These attributes are not editable. I could not do it in InfraWorks. I tried using Project Kameleon Parts Editor to make the attributes editable but it did not work either. I made it editable in Parts Editor, I publish it to my project, it is editable in the properties window but when I hit enter it does not change the width. How can I change the pier cap width? I used Standard Pier 1 to make a one column pier.

Thanks,

Tags (1)
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
jim_geer
in reply to: alicetin5748

Hi alicetin5748,

By default Infraworks is going to override the left and right cap values.  So what you have to do is in Kameleon you have to rename those values so Infraworks will leave them alone.  So if you renamed them in Kameleon to something like "piercaprightwidthUSER" then published to your model you should be able to then edit those values in Infraworks.

Jim Geer
Principal Software Engineer in Test

Message 3 of 22
alicetin5748
in reply to: jim_geer

Hi Jim,

Parts Editor allows me to change the Label for the attribute but not the Name of the attribute. So it does not work either. How can I change the Name? I tried Exporting to Excel and Importing From Excel and doing it but it does not change any Name.

Message 4 of 22
jim_geer

I'm sorry I didn't explain myself very good.  To rename an attribute you have to do this in Shape Modeler.  If you open the IPT file in Shape Modeler you can then go to Manage->Parameters.  In there you should see RightWidth and LeftWidth.  These ones can be renamed.  You will then need to go to the Environments tab->Infrastructure Part Shape Utilities.  On that ribbon you can export a template.  This will let you export the IPT file out.  Then in Parts editor you can use that IPT file to create a new part.  Then that can be published to a model.  This will let you then adjust the pier cap width.

However I am testing this with the StandardPier and it doesn't seem to be working for me.  I think we have a defect.  I will investigate this more.  Which version of Infraworks are you using?  Do you have the Enhanced Standard Pier in Infraworks?  If so you can use this one.  This one I can modify the parameters.

Jim Geer

Message 5 of 22
alicetin5748

Jim,

I am using InfraWorks 360 2017.3 . I don't see Enhanced Standard Pier in my model. I guess somehow I deleted that in my model. When I look at another model it is in there. But I don't see Enhanced Standard Pier in Parts Editor. How do i restore that? How can I restore my parts Lib to original values? Since I don't have much experience with these, I could not find the IPT file. Where should I look for that specific file? Thanks a alot for your help. 

Message 6 of 22
David.Hepp

What is Project Kameleon Parts Editor? A third party software?

Message 7 of 22
alicetin5748
in reply to: David.Hepp

Project Kameleon is a free* technology preview from Autodesk where you can try new infrastructure model content authoring tools.

• The technology preview includes a stand-alone .exe Parts Editor that enables authoring Inlets, Manholes, and Culverts.
  • Author Inlet Frames, Grates, and Underground Structures as separate part families and combine them to create Inlet Structure Assemblies.
  • Author Culvert Barrels and End Treatments and combine them to create Culvert Assemblies.
  • The part authoring workflow is tightly integrated with InfraWorks, and includes the ability to post new part catalogs to InfraWorks models. Catalog conversion enables Inlet and Manhole Structure content to be used in AutoCAD Civil 3D.
  • A built-in shape library allows you to author parts using an existing set of parametric shapes and supports extending the shape library using a stand-alone .exe Part Shape Modeler to author new Inventor IPT shape files which may be imported by the Parts Editor

https://beta.autodesk.com/project/home.html?cap=%7b8CF9868B-83DB-4E53-93FE-1F36FBB4D92A%7d

Message 8 of 22
jim_geer

If you have the Enhanced Standard Pier the IPT file should be located in C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\InfraWorks\Resources\LocalLibrary\Parts\Templates\3c\b75fa9-e188-47a9-bd6e-1cc1abe86968

I don't believe there is a way to restore the parts catalog to default.  I will have to look into that one more.

If you have the above IPT file that can be opened in Shape Modeler.  In there you can change the PierCapRightWidth & PierCapLeftWidth.

Jim Geer

Message 9 of 22
alicetin5748

Thank you very much Jim! It worked. I was able to adjust the Pier Cap Width as you said. Now we have a smaller problem. The bridge has 4 girders but the pier cap only covers 2 girders in the middle. They used a cross beam to support the outside girders. That's why I don't need the outside bearings but Infraworks still inserts/shows 4 bearings where I only need the two inside ones. It looks like the bearings are a part of the pier component. Is there any way to adjust the number of bearings?

Message 10 of 22
jim_geer

The bearings are at the bridge level.  So if you select the bridge you will see a bearing section in the stack.  There isn't an option to change the number of bearings.  However you can adjust the left and right offset of the bearings.  This will make it so the bearings aren't show within that offset from the edge of the bridge.  You should be able to sort of fake it so the bearings do not get shown on the outside girders.

Jim Geer

Message 11 of 22
alicetin5748

Thanks Jim! I don't know how or why but it worked! Smiley Very Happy

Offset is described as "Left Offset: The distance from the left edge of the pier cap or abutment to the centerline of the bearing." Which bearing is it talking about? Does it apply to all bearings? Apparently it does not because the outer two bearings are gone and the inner two stay. Weird but hey it works 😄

-Ali

Message 12 of 22

Is there a way to match properties of one pier to the other 6 on the bridge?  Or do I have to go plug in the custom properties to each one?

Jessica Miller
Design Technician
CEC Corporation
4555 West Memorial Road, Oklahoma City, OK 73142
T: 405.753.4200
Dir: 405.753.4616
www.connectcec.com

Message 13 of 22
jim_geer
in reply to: jessica.miller

@jessica.miller

If you change any bridge attributes you can then use the Apply..To command which will let you apply those changes to the other bridge objects of the same type.  So if you change the pier dimensions, with the pier selected, right click and select Apply To...  Next selection will let you select other piers on the bridge and apply those changes.  Apply..To All Piers will apply those change to all piers on the bridge.  I hope this helps.

Any other questions let me know.

Thanks,

Jim Geer

Message 14 of 22
jessica.miller

Yes thank you. I'll try that again. It didn't work for me earlier.
Jessica Miller
Design Technician
CEC Corporation
www.connectcec.com

Message 15 of 22
jim_geer
in reply to: jessica.miller

The skew of a pier will not be applied to other piers.  The skew needs to be set for each pier individually.

Jim Geer

Message 16 of 22

How can I find this project now or is there another solution for this problem that could be used?!

Message 17 of 22
jessica.miller

That worked finally.

Jessica Miller
Design Technician
CEC Corporation
www.connectcec.com

Message 18 of 22

Once you have the pier selected, right click, & there are options for applying settings to the other piers, "apply to all" or "apply to next".  I knew this existed.  I am still new to IW360.  I missed it the first time I tried to use it.  I also created my own pier after my first attempt & used it; not sure that made a difference.

Jessica Miller
Design Technician
CEC Corporation
www.connectcec.com

Message 19 of 22
ahmed.elkashef

Hi Jim,

Can you please tell me how I can find shape modeler, or If you made this edit before for Cap width parameters, Could you please send it to me?

Thanks In advance

Ahmad H. ElKashef

Message 20 of 22
jim_geer
in reply to: ahmed.elkashef

Hi @ahmed.elkashef,

Shape modeler runs on top of Autodesk Inventor, do you have that installed?   You should be able to find the install of Inventor Infrastructure Modeler Plugin in your Autodesk Account.  If you login to your account then go to Management->Product updates it will be listed in there and then you can download/install from there.  This will install on top of Inventor.  Within Inventor you can go to the Environments tab and you will see the button  Infrastructure Part Shape Utilities.  This will let you export an IPT file from Inventor to use as a parametric part in Infraworks.

I don't think I have that pier any more.  I will try to create that today and send it to you.

Thanks,

Jim Geer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report