Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Floating Text

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
neilyj666
746 Views, 7 Replies

3D Floating Text

I'm following the steps in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXFIdO5NS3o for creating 3D floating text.

I'm using Arial as my font but when I explode I get issues usually with "R", "D" and "O" and I have more editing to do to allow me to extrude them.

Any recommendations as to the best font to use for this task??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
markd
in reply to: neilyj666

I have used the "txtexp" then extrude method many times with no issues. I just did a test using arial font and had no issue at my end. The only thing I can think of is to make sure the UCS is set to world and view is set and top/plan. I don't believe the command will run if the drawing has been orbited anyhow.

Message 3 of 8
neilyj666
in reply to: markd

I've just done a line of "R"'s and extruded  with no problem at all

2015-09-01 15_47_08-Object Viewer.jpg

When I did it with real text some of the exploded entities were doubling back on themselves causing the extrude problems. I could remove the offending vertex in each instance and the Extrude worked as expected

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 8
Travis.Thompson
in reply to: neilyj666

My text\FBX Model always comes in with the same terrain color? regardless of any color I've chosen in C3D or setting in the export FBX I choose?

I did learn if you don’t have items such as Material selected in the export FBX command InfraWorks will immediately crash for me on the model I’m working on when I bring it in?

Travis

Longtime Bentley.... Now learning InfraWorks and some Civil-3D
Message 5 of 8

Hi Travis,

I am working on this exact process but can't seem to figure out the colour issue. Were you able to figure this out?

Nathan

Message 6 of 8
vtncad
in reply to: nduimering

For the text I usually make a material in Civil 3D and assign a color as needed. Then add the material to the text objects. I usually use this method for small scenes with basic street furnature I create in Civil 3d also such as lights and signs, which is the technique used in the image below. There have been issues reported by others of FBX models coming accross in white only and not respecting the materials assigned. That seems to be an issue with material catalogs not installing correctly. A search should dig up the posts regarding that issue.

3rd Street.jpg

Message 7 of 8

No, I need to read up on what vtncad said, but I've gotten pulled off to other work right now. 

Thanks for the help vtn and I'll let you know my outcome when I get to it. 

Travis 

Message 8 of 8

Still no luck for me, the 3D text I create in C3D pics up the texture of a road... I have opened the .fbx files with Navisworks and it looks as expected with the materiel applied?  

Travis 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report