Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Reality Mode

Virtual Reality Mode

I'm an early adopter of VR technology and have a HTC Vive VR set. It consists of a wide field of view positionally tracked goggles and 2 positionally tracked hand controlers. It is absolutely fantastic technology and I can see this having a huge place in CAD in the very near future. Google has released a program called Tiltbrush which is essentially Windows paintbrush in 3D. It is relatively simplistic, but the interface is very good and could be good inspiration for a Fusion 360 VR mode. You can see some of the interface and how it works in this video:

10 Comments

Even cooler would be Hololens | Magic Leap / AR support so we could work with models that are floating in mixed-reality space

CarlM89
Advocate
I think using either or would be great. The AR hardware is still a ways off before it becomes widely available. The vive is available now and the sub millimetre 1:1 controler tracking would lend itself very well to CAD.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree.  I think being able to 'sculpt' in 3d using the Vive controllers would be amazing.  I use Fusion 360 for mechanical design.  It would be great if I could make a model that's basically suspended in the air, walk around it, pul / push from any angle I want, pick tools, like drills, etc. to basically make 3d parts floating in space that I could then send to my 3d printer.  Parametric design could work, but I feel like some voice recognition would have to be integrated since using a keyboard isn't practicle.  Or maybe you guys should make a special CAD Vive controller with number keys on it.  Either way, first decent CAD tool that works with the Vive is going to at the very least get mad press.

CarlM89
Advocate

It looks like someone might be beating Fusion 360 to VR 3D modeling.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As an initial push, I would recommend that the Autodesk Dev team look at TriDef (3rd party software) to see if that could be used to build in 3d viewing functionality in the short term.  That currently can be used to make certain games that were not designed for 3d to work on 3d monitors and in VR using Virtual Desktop, but I've been trying to get it working this morning with Fusion on my HTC Vive with no luck.

If this isn't a top priority for your design team, I strongly urge you to buy at least one HTC Vive and play the game "Fantastic Contraption."  30 seconds of this should give you a sense for how revolutionary this can be.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, I'm making some progress with TriDef.  I can get SBS mode working in Virtual Desktop to a degree, but I'm having trouble with the mouse.  Perhaps somebody else can get this working?  TriDef has a free two week trial.  Anyone else with a Vive or Oculus want to give it a shot?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys!

WakingApp did this software called ENTiTi, allows you to use your CAD/3D files and make AR/VR content with it.

Check it out! 🙂

commonmandan
Contributor

Check out Google Blocks. Creating 3D Models in VR.

https://vr.google.com/blocks/

Fusion 360 should start with just viewing, but move on to editing. I assume Fusion 360 was made with the presentation layer and business logic layer decoupled, so adding a new presentation mode isn't impossible, just a matter of priorities. 

For viewing ARKit in iOS 11 / macOS High Sierra makes it stupidly simple
Kauwboy
Community Visitor

I also have a vive.

I import my 3d models as an obj to draw on them in 3d space in tilt brush.

It is so great to walk around and draw on your models.

You can see very quickly what could work .

And a big benefit (that i dont hear from others)is that i can walk around and dont have to sit behind a screen the whole day.

But i have to get back to my screen to work with t-splines to get the model.

So please (matt sederberg)  make a vr version off tsplines / fusion360 for the vive .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report