Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off "snap to object" only

Turn off "snap to object" only

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I very often would like to turn off any object snapping, but keep the grid snapping turned on. Currently, I can turn off grid snapping or grid and object snapping (by holding down the command key), but I do not see a way to turn off only object snapping.

Wouldn't this be something important that other users might also benefit from...?

9 Comments
lukepighetti
Advisor

Definitely. This is one of my biggest annoyances with Fusion sketches right now. I turn on a fine 1/16" grid because in 'MERICA we design in fractions. I don't want anything that isn't on that grid, but I want to be able to use snapping. I just want it so that snapping doesn't ignore the grid. Please please please what a huge pain in the neck this is.

Willa1980
Advocate

This still hasn't been implemented, correct? For me, this makes drawing sketches on top of exiting gemetry almost impossible. If I want to draw a simple rectangle, it snaps to all sorts of weird geometry, but hardly to the grid. And very often, 3D geometry is projected into the sketch (because the rectangle snapped to an object) which is also very undesirable...

How do you guys manage to draw sketches in Fusion? I am really having problems here, but maybe I do it all wrong?

lukepighetti
Advisor

It's not just you. Fusion has a sketch environment that (for me) works very poorly. In fact, sketch environment is why I find myself using Onshape until I need CAM.

Willa1980
Advocate

I simply don't get why this is still not implemented in the latest update... This makes sketching soooooo confusing. The outlines of 3D objects often get unintentionally projected in my sketch (because my lines etc. snap to all the objects in my design. This makes the sketch totally confusing. Additionally, if I use the timeline to modify some 3D objects, then the projected items also change and everything crashes.

This would be such a simple thing which would make 2D sketching so much more useable...

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Thank you for idea - this is getting archived due to lack of votes.  We do not have plans to create a sketch "object snap" functionality similar to AutoCAD.

Willa1980
Advocate
Well, I don't understand this, because the permanent snapping (even to hidden geometry!!) makes the sketch mode really unusable...

-- Dr. William Thielicke
http://William.Thielicke.org
lukepighetti
Advisor

It seems that Fusion team is designing their product based on popular vote not common sense.

Willa1980
Advocate

You made it! In the latest release, you finally included the feature I was looking for such a long time...! Thanks! Now sketching starts to become comfortable...

hawesw1985
Explorer

There seems to be resolution here... Now could someone please tell me how to enable/disable this object snapping feature that has been "finally included"?  Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report