Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toggle between metric and imperial units in the Measure tool

Toggle between metric and imperial units in the Measure tool

A simple toggle in the measure tool to switch between metric and imperial units without having to exit and change the document settings, or have both displayed simultaneously. That would be great because when you change them in the document settings it closes the measure window, and you lose any measurements that you made.

20 Comments
ylevine
Advocate

Even better, show both! Example:

Radius: 1" (2.54cm)

owenhooker
Enthusiast
I've been really wanting dual dimensions too. Also how come we don't have duel dimensions in drawings? Seems like such a basic feature. Shouldn't this be easy to implement?
andrew.de.leon
Autodesk

Hi Guys,

You can turn Alternate Units on by editing your dimensions; double-click a dimension and select the Alternate Units checkbox within the dialog. Alternate Units will display "mm [in]" or "in [mm]" values depending on the units of your drawing.

Quick question, are you wanting to turn Alternate Units on for all dimensions in a drawing, or just a few within the drawing?

Thanks,

Andrew

15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11), in Sydney Australia
Maker444
Participant

The ability to display dual dimensions is not something that can be accomplished in the Model workspace using the Measure tool. I would like to be able to use the Measure tool to check dimensions on a model and quickly see the metric and/or imperial value. I don't like that I have to change the document units for the Measure tool to display those units.

Thanks,

Greg

ylevine
Advocate

@andrew.de.leon, we are referring to the measure command for solid models, not the 2D drawing dimension markings

andrew.de.leon
Autodesk

Hi @ylevine, sorry for the confusion. I was refering to dimensions within 2D drawings.

Thanks,

Andrew

15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11), in Sydney Australia
mwoll
Advocate

Dual units would be useful in the model space both form measurements and dimensions. Maybe one quick toggle to turn this on/off for both?

It is a bother to have to use metric and imperial together but these days it is sometimes unavoidable, so best to have the tools to do it properly.

haughec
Autodesk

Thanks for the suggestion.  A toggle or dual display to show multiple units would be valuable.  I've logged FUS-22734 to track this internally.

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

k-ace
Explorer

Sometimes it is useful to have a mix of units in a design, such as having a metric fastener in an imperial unit project. I have found that the inspect window cannot show a mix of units or cannot select which units to measure. Sure you can change the project settings but having a measurement conversion would be handy to have in the inspect window. Something like this could work:

Length     .157 in (4 mm)

owenhooker
Enthusiast

I think this is a must have feature to stay competitive. I have needed this for a very long time and was used to having this feature in Solidworks. I often need to work in metric but I think in inches. This should be really easy to implement right? In my opinion this is a must have feature and was overlooked from the inception of Fusion. 

eugenebT5F6X
Participant

Dual-dimensions in model++

I can build parts using inch or mm units, regardless of model preferences. The logical corollary to this is to measure in either units (or selected units).

colemanVJMPP
Advocate

It would be nice if the measure tool would display the selected in both Standard and Metric units.

Even if the document units are set to metric....also display standard unit in the measure tool side by side. 

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

Thanks for the idea, we will investigate this further. 

chris
Explorer

Essential feature.  Please add.

daveprecise
Participant

Yes, looking forward to this useful/essential feature! Thanks!

andy.c
Advocate

What can the community do accelerate this request? It is August 2018. The request was initiated back in October 2015. A dual unit display is common.

Thank you.

Benjammann
Enthusiast

Please add this. We need dual unit display when measuring.

rishabh.bisht
Alumni

This functionality has been added with the April 2019 release

lathebuilder
Explorer

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report