Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To enter alternate units into dimension dialog, like fractional imperial units

To enter alternate units into dimension dialog, like fractional imperial units

Often when working in metric, I need to specify a feature in imperial fractional dimension.

It would be great if I could just enter it into the dimension dialog with standard unit short hand.

For example:    3/16"   should be an acceptable entry when working in mm:

three sixteenths.png

6 Comments
DavePlant
Contributor

I know alternate units can be entered like this:    (3/16) * 1in   

This format is nicely generalized, but overly cumbersome in this cases. 

Oh, and it displays the dimension back in in metric: 4.763   ... it's a bit hard to figure out what that number actually is... it does not look much like 3/16".

We should all abandon those units, but as long as they're here, it does make sense to support them

kb9ydn
Advisor

It will take " as inches if you use decimals but not with fractions.

C|

maritza.ga
Alumni

Hi @DavePlant,

We are currently working on this issue. Tracking internally using FUS-26107. 

For your second statement "Oh, and it displays the dimension back in in metric: 4.763   ... it's a bit hard to figure out what that number actually is... it does not look much like 3/16".

We continue to display the dimension in mm because that is the default unit of the document. This allows us not to have to add mm or in at the end of each dimension displayed on the screen. You can, however, hover over the dimension and see the dimension and/or equation you entered with the dimension attached. 

hover dimension.png

DavePlant
Contributor

Thanks Maritza, The  hover over works great!

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Thank you for your idea, this is getting changed to achieve because the solution that Maritza provided was accepted as a solution.

Regards,

Mike Prom

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report