Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread Milling Start Position

Thread Milling Start Position

I am currently preparing for a personal project, which involves a firearm bolt body and bolt head.  The bolt body has an internal thread of .4175" x 20 TPI.  Here's where things get tricky, the bolt head has an external thread matching, but the threads will need to be timed in away to start at a specific position. 

Looking to have the ability to create either a start position for threadmilling or the ability to set an angular start position (which would be better).  

11 Comments
chris_IgniteDigi
Enthusiast
+1 having the ability to specify the start angle for thread milling operations would be fantastic.

That way we can set start and stop positions of parts connected with threads ...... please add this functionality 👍
Ronald.Thompson
Contributor

Another issue with threadmilling is leadout. Threadmilling as is works with single point threadmills that cut all the way up and out of the hole, but if you use a multi-tooth tool, it needs a leadout to bring the tool out of the threads before retraction. Multi-tooth tools only require a little over one full revolution to complete the thread, and thus decrease cycle time. With no leadout, it can break the tool and will ruin the threads. While I have not cut them yet, the simulation shows the leadout problem. The work around is to thread all the way out of the hole, losing the advantage of a multi-tooth tool. Thanks!

cj.abraham
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

This makes sense to add.

anthony.deblock
Explorer

A start point adjustment is needed! 

I do lots of thread milling and all of my products require a blunt start thread. so matching the thread mill and the end mill to create this feature is almost necessary I have work a rounds but this would make life easier. 

also when it comes to thread milling why not make it so you can select a sketch line for geometry?

I have been doing threaded parts in mastercam with just a couple wire frame circles to make bores thread and thread reliefs. so why cant i just select the line in fusion why must it be a cylindrical body/face.

cody.youngbull
Community Visitor

What is the status of the ability to time a mill thread? It seems almost inconceivable that there is no way to do this!?

cj.abraham
Alumni

It actually is currently possible to time the thread start in the thread mill operation currently. Enabling tool orientation and changing the X direction (but keeping Z the same) will change the thread start. Where the X arrow points is the position where it will start.Tool Orientation DisabledTool Orientation Disabled

Tool Orientation with same Z, different XTool Orientation with same Z, different X

Eventually we would like to add a parameter specific to thread start where the angle can be controlled. 

chris_IgniteDigi
Enthusiast

Hi CJ

The thread start position that you are describing is not what I am currently seeing. Here are some M10 holes, and you can see that the start positions are not aligned with the X-Axis.

The ability to align threads would still be really useful.

Thanks

Chris

Screenshot 2018-01-14 16.00.02.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

something new to this topic? 🙂

M&GToolWorks
Advocate

Hello, 

Has there been any follow through with adding the ability to time  threads? 

Changing the "tool orientation" as mentioned above seems to have no effect? 

I have a job currently I was supposed to run this week that I need timed threads and I cannot figure out a work around. I tried modeling the threads in, but fusion has no machine process that I can get to work with the modeled threads. 

Please advise as to when this will be functional. 

cj.abraham
Alumni

This is expected to be included in an update in march.

m.wuendsch
Participant

Hello,

I really like the new Select Start Angle Capability, but I would really like this to be optional! When I had a part and was not exactly sure how deep to cut the Threads, i could keep the part in the vice and increase the depth of the machining by changing the bottom hight. When doing so I never needed to worry about the starting angle, becaus the threading ended always at the same point. Now I have to calculate the angle I want the threads to start at.
This would make the new Feature perfect. Or add the possibility of choosing the start or the end angle so you can choose what position you want to aline

Sincerely

Leo

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report