Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread 3D modeled

Thread 3D modeled

I am using step to send parts for making, I try to eleminate the need for making 2D cad, it will be great if we can have a kind of counterbore input pre-hole, of a value, ex.: 0.5mm depth and if the thread ends that finish with the drilling hole diameter of ex. 0.5mm

This way, it will be easy to anybody that see the 3D modeled threaded hole to see the drilling diameter and the Thread centered diameter 9ex. an M4 will have a 0.5mm final hole that is 4mm dia), so instead of trying to find the center of the 3D thread (it's look off axis), the last 0.5mm depth will be 4mm x 0.5mm deep.

10 Comments
yanouk73
Advocate

suggestion.JPGactual.JPGm4 top suggested.JPGm4.JPG

yanouk73
Advocate

You can see the suggestion thread i am requesting.

The actual thread 3D, and top view

and finally a section view of the suggestion new thread.

with the drilling info and a little kind of counterboard at the end, we can see what is the real center of the thread from top vuew and have all the dimensions to be safe to machine it just from the step file.

Thanks,

yanouk73
Advocate

An other suggestion can be to have 3d annotations, but for thread, if there is many, it's better to keep the information in the 3d alone, anyway, anotations in the step file are not a safety way to keep the data, but as my 3d suggestion, you cannot make the thread wrong.

3D annotations, can be great for reamed hole, tolerances... maybe they can be converted in 3d lines...

kb9ydn
Advisor

This might sound like a good idea on the surface but I don't think it will work in practice.

If you send a model to a machine shop with holes that have that have a small counterbore at the top, they will likely assume you actually need that counterbore and will quote the job accordingly (and it will be more expensive).  They will also not be impressed with having to inspect every single hole on the model to determine diameter, depth, and threads if required.  You would have to cross section every threaded hole and measure the distance between threads to get the pitch, and then measure the diameter.  And even with that you still won't be able to specify things like thread fit or cut vs. formed threads.

And there is a lot more information specified on 2D drawings that isn't conveyed in a 3D model; material type, tolerances, special finishing, etc..  All of this information is required if you intend to get the parts you ask for.  It would be really awesome to have a way to specify all the additional manufacturing information within the 3D model file, but I don't think any of the 'universal' (STEP, IGES, etc.) file formats have this.

C|

yanouk73
Contributor

Hi Kb9ydn

So if you don't need it' fine, but for me, a drawing is 90% of the time not needed, the general tolerances is enough and I just make the drawing on precision parts where there is reamed holes, special tolerances, special details or instructions.

90% of the other parts are aluminium, parts made from cnc with counter bore, counter sink, threads... nothing else.

We do many parts and I am in design and production since 27 years now, so I think 3D is enough most of the time (but I still look young 😉

the starting helical thread 3D modeled is offaxis because it's a reall 3D, so making a strating 0.1mm 4mm counterbore will just make it look centered and the 4mm will show the 3D helical OD, so you can make a standard with your shop or supplier and say not to make 0.1mm deep counter bore 😉

Yan

yanouk73
Contributor

I think just using a 0.1 or 0.2mm of depth counterbore pre-hole will do the job, nobody will think to drill a 0.1mm depth counterbore before to start threading an hole, but the center can be find much more precisly and faster using the round pre-hole from the outer face of the thread.

When you are working with supplier, you can supply a drawing and a phone call 😉 to fix this way of working just with 3D file, that's what we do. When you know it, there is no need to talk about the reason why, then just the 3D file can be use to produce simple parts (I mean without special tolerances and mecanical specifications).

Anyway, this is just an add-on that you do not absolutly need to use, but when activated, it will be great.

I notice then heaven with 2D drawing in fusion, sometime you can select the arc that are on the 2D drawing and have the wrong center for your hole if you don't zoom it, so it's eleminate the risk to have mistake on the 2D drawing too.

Last thing, in UG many years ago, instead of using 3D Helical threads, there was a kind of approximative thread representation, it was mad in 3D as we see on the 2D usually, the thread were show as a cylinder inside the drilling hole, this is an other way to make 3D thread but without helical 3D, this will be the best solution to reduce 3D complexity, many time threads modeled in 3D will load the file without any need, but a cylinder that represente the thread is more then enough, it show up on 2D and you cannot use the wrong center because you have 2 concentric cylinders.

With this solution, it's just hard to make a solid cylinder linked to the body solid, a kind of selection group, because making just additionnal cylinders to represente the threads will be confusing if they are not staying attach to the solid where there is these threaded holes.

yanouk73
Contributor

This is what I mean by a representation of a thread in 3D.

If this is too complicated, keep the 1st idea as you can read from the original idea.

yanouk73
Contributor

threads.JPG

yanouk73
Contributor

threads.JPG

yanouk73
Advocate

Hi folks

There is one thing that is missing, we should be able to make custom 3D modeled threads, per exemple, we are making many adaptor threads, and I need a 94x1mm pitch.

In the list, there is just 95x1.5mm we cannot have avery value, so custom values are needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report