Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tangent Display

Tangent Display

I would like to see an option under Display Settings for setting edges that are tangent to each other as dotted or phantom lines, much as SolidWorks does. I have this set in SW all the time and is a sure tell that edges that I've intended to be tangent are tangent, and if they are showing up solid, they need my attention to see what happened.

Tangent display 1.png

Tangent display 2.png

12 Comments
mark2t
Advocate

Commenting so the images are inserted. I don't see a way to edit my original post.

Tangent display 1.png

Tangent display 2.png

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

@mark2t,

Can you please provide some workflows of how you would use this idea request if implemented.

Thank you,

Mike Prom

mark2t
Advocate

My workflow would be to just always have it on. As of now I work with Shaded with Visible edges only selected. If phantom tangent lines become available I would just turn them on and leave them on as I currently do when using SolidWorks.

promm
Alumni

@mark2t,

Can you please provide some details of how having this displayed allows for you to do work that you cannot do with out them.

Thank you,

Mike Prom

mark2t
Advocate

I don't think I can be any clearer than my original post "is a sure tell that edges that I've intended to be tangent are tangent, and if they are showing up solid, they need my attention to see what happened."

It's also a clear indicator of what edges are sharp and crisp as opposed to having any continuity above coincident. It allows your eye to see the flow of faces. While you can just turn the edge display off for now, that does not give you any indication of the layout and number of faces that make up body. A phantom display of edges that are tangent lets you see how faces flow together without the abrupt solid lines we now have, while still allowing us to see those boundaries between them and making them easier to see for selecting them if we need to.

I hope that is clear enough for you. 

promm
Alumni
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Thank you for your idea, this is being changed to archived due to the workflow this idea solves.  Also if the edges are made using fillet they are going to always be tangent and you have the curvature combs for sketches.

Regards,

Mike Prom

bertholt.schroeder
Community Visitor

@mark2t@promm That was an amusing interchange because displaying tangent as phantom is obviously an improvement in workflow. Compare the workflows below:

Workflow without phantom tangent lines:

1) go to inspect menu

2) select curvature comb (or zebra stripes)

3) orbit around the model around and look closely to see if tangency is maintained

Workflow with tangent phantom lines:

1) look at the model

This is especially helpful when you have created boundry surfaces, patches, etc. and want to ensure tangency is maintained in the areas you want them. Sometimes tangency fails - it is great having a constant visual indicator that the functions are performing properly.

RReisingerZHAUT
Community Visitor

Having tangent edges and coincident edges display differently is the most useful display feature when working with organic shaped surfaces. You can tell if the tangencies of your model are correct just by simply looking at it. @mark2t and @bertholt.schroeder couldn't have explained any better how this would help create a faster work flow@promm you should reconsider this feature if you want to improve the surfacing environment of Fusion360. Having tangent edges displayed as dotted or phantom should be the default display type.

dave.waddellE7ZQK
Participant

"this is being changed to archived due to the workflow this idea solves"

So , what happened with this ? CRITICAL feature for working in CAD for me (industrial designer). Is this now supported ? how can we find out what happened with implementation ? 

Thanks !

dewey2999
Community Visitor

I agree. This is a MUST have. I cant seem to find any options for this. Anyone know of any updates?

westy661QQQCD
Explorer

BUMP! 

Has this not been figured out yet? So many cool functions in F360, but overlooked this very useful feature?

ToddGrenga
Observer

2D drawing view edits allow you to shorten of turn off. It would be nice to show as phantom lines to avoid confusion in interpreting the object.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report