Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support ground shadows on PNG files rendered with transparency

Support ground shadows on PNG files rendered with transparency

Fusion 360 does a great job rendering nice-looking shadows and color bleeding onto the ground plane.  However, when saving a PNG file with transparency you don't keep any of that; you only get strictly model surfaces. 

I would like to be able to save a PNG with transparency that includes ground shadows and color bleeding in the PNG file, similar to a Matte/Shadow material on a ground plane in 3ds Max.  This would really help transparent PNGs look more grounded and realistic when overlaid on backgrounds or in presentations.

It would be cool to have an option in the save dialog like this:

ground shadows.png

disc with shadow.png

↑ nice PNG with white background showing shadows ↑

disc without shadow.png

↑ PNG saved with transparency; shadows stripped ↑

7 Comments
SEIZMICdesign
Collaborator

Agree. Much needed.

n.zastrow
Explorer

I've been struggling with that this week as well. It would be an amazing feature to add.

As much as I love F360, the render environment could use some major improvements. For the life of me, I can't figure out why render times are the same on my low spec'd laptop and my main rig at home with double the RAM and 2.5gig video card. I'm able to render more complex environments in Blender (using Cycles) in a fraction of the time (like 3 minutes vs 15-20 in fusion). 

This would helped a lot in my work!

Nickduino
Enthusiast

Yep, I'm spending way too much time in GIMP currently...

fusion360DRM4M
Explorer

Maybe a tip, render with white background (and shadows) and render transparent.

add white version in a graphic program and use layer blend multiply, then add transparent PNG on top.
Saves you time in GIMP / photoshop tracing or painting shadows yourself.

But yes, this shouldn't be hard to implement in the software. Can't understand, what's the use of transparancy when shadows disappear and you get a dull image.

Nickduino
Enthusiast

Cool tip @fusion360DRM4M !

(Also that still seems like too much hassle)

SEIZMICdesign
Collaborator

Yeah, @fusion360DRM4M I think I might be with @Nickduino on this one. not sure that's much better than just cmd+clicking the layer & just doing a paint bucket > Gaussian blur. But I may give it a try at some point. Maybe it's worth it in some situations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report