Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL object conversion at import

STL object conversion at import

What would be extremely usefull for people who 3D print a lot is to be able to convert STL files (on import) to real bodies that can be edited (push / pull / rotation / modification etc.).

F360_STL_to_body.jpg

18 Comments
BrienKing
Advocate

Can't give enough Kudos for this.  I really hope they do this.

RBeaubien
Participant

Ditto

RobbGodshaw
Contributor

I would love to live in a world with this feature!

I am fairly certain it is computationally impossible to convert an arbitrary mesh into an accurate solid, but they have said such things about lots of things that are now quite possible.

As a 2D metaphor I like to use is to think of it like Autodesk Vectorize It or LiveTrace/ImageTrace in Adobe Illustrator. You have a chaotic, high entropy JPEG that you want to convert into the elegant precision of vectors. Infinite resolution, smooth curves, great editablity, all this and more is yours with vectors! Unfortunately, even 10 years after the release of liveTrace in Illustrator it is still lightyears behind hand tracing, even for the simplest of shapes. Corners look weird, lines waver in strange and senseless ways— visual artifacts that can be seen all over billboards the world over.

The culture of Thingiverse etc. drives me a little crazy, where people upload STL mesh files of objects that were modeled as solids by the thousands. These files are intrinsically chaotic and essentially uneditable. They can be made only as they are using todays 3D printers. Tomorrows printers, with better resolution? Hello polygons. Todays CNC machines? Good luck. Few CAM packages can do the meshy-math to run toolpaths on a mesh. Tools like MeshMixer help a little, but compared to a SAT, STEP, or IGES solid file it is comparatively hopeless. I wish folks would upload solids along with their messy meshes.

Anyway, I have wanted this dozens of times.

Most existing tools for this do a horrible job. They simple turn each triangle of the mesh into a surface. This often crashes your computer, because there are sometimes millions of triangles.

Autodesk makes a plugin for Inventor called Mesh Enabler. Here is it being used in my friend's Instructable.

It has worked for me in the past to convert 3D scan meshes into CNC machinable solids, but I have never tried running it on a mesh that is simple like the one in your image. I'd love to see a Fusion port of mesh enabler. I'd also like to see a version of it that has a real interface and some options. As it stands it is just one button, and often it will just crash if your mesh is intense.

Rhino has an equally poorly featured command called Mesh2Nurb, which I mention because they have a long post about the (intrinsic?) shortcomings of a mesh-surface conversion.

I have seen on the internet outrageously expensive software that guides a user in the manual recreation of solids from mesh data. The class of tool is called reverse engineering mesh to surface because it is almost never used by the original author of a part. They mostly act as systems to help users trace the parts manually and recreate features.

This post was intended to be much shorter... I just hate meshes so much. 🙂

odolyte
Advocate

@RobbGodshaw "I am fairly certain it is computationally impossible to convert an arbitrary mesh into an accurate solid, but they have said such things about lots of things that are now quite possible."

Hi Robb, i'm not so sure. You have vertexes, you have faces, you know what's inside from outside of the object with the normals. There are software that decimates faces to simplify STL files and that works ... "relatively" well ;).

I'm more concern by cracks. There are often a lot of them in stl files and that means having a solid object before doing anything else.

Meshmixer is able to give the exact volume of an stl file. So i suppose that it's able to "see" the outside geometry of the model, right ? otherwise how could it be accurate (unless it isn't 😉 ) ?

F360 is able to veneer nurbs around STL volumes (like scan of hand or arm...). I'm not a 3D ingeneer, but maybe the trick could be somewhere around this (veneering nurbs around stl volume)... Or maybe what i'm saying is a complete nonsense 😉

I agree with you : i hate meshes too! That's why i would be very happy if autodesk could solve this ! I know voxels are comming and it may solve a lot of things for 3D printers, but i think we're going to be stuck with STLs files for some more time, so having a solution for this would definitely be awesome...

The general problem is very difficult for meshes (without generating a huge mess), but recognizing things that are co-planar, or in a limited number of geometries is totally doable.

Voxels would be much harder for something like F360 to deal with, though.

brianrepp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Helmi74
Collaborator

Great someone puts this up again. This was highly discussed since the presence of the mesh importer.

Hopepfully someone will work on this.

cekuhnen
Mentor

Use a poly modeler to clean things up

often a simple tri to quad face will do the job if the file is not too complex

but STL fiels often are filled with too many triangular faces. I am not sure how the software should be able to

convert that to rounded breps.

for simple and linear things this works well when cleaned up before mesh to brep.

there are many usabel poly modelers that can do that.

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

odolyte
Advocate

Wow ! Thx @colin.smith for the changed status, this would be amazing...

carvedblock
Enthusiast

I always presumed this would be impractical to even attempt to implement (beyond the current convert to brep function), but if it can be done reasonably well, even as approximation that then could be user tweaked, I'm ALL IN. 

pfleming
Advocate

The first company to ever manage to successfully pull this off, and pull stl files in to be converted to true conventional CAD models, as in the original post, has a game changer right there. As far as 3D printing is concerned there would be that company and .... nobody. End of story.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

So the last post I see on this topic (problem) was from last year. Has there been any progress on STL to IGES file conversion? Are all polygon CAD models really redrawn from scratch, in order to manufacture parts (not including 3D pronting). Any 3rd party file conversion offerings available. I would prefer to remain in the Fusion 360 universe. Please advise. 

Thanks!

best,  rick

palmerjacob180
Participant

Using sketch sections and loft for conversion

Hello

I was trying to import the Meshmixer Bunny into Fusion so that I could modify it and print it for a friends birthday present.  What I ended up doing was taking sketch sections and lofting between them.  If the development team could make a feature that would create many different sections and then loft between them couldn't that work for conversion to an editable body.

ylevine
Advocate

Along with this, we need a way to convert triangular mesh to quad mesh. Sometimes you need to convert the surface manually to make the geometry right, and Fusion 360 handles quad mesh much better than an imported STL.

waterlizard403
Advocate

As an avid member of the 3D printing community and maker movement, I could definitely see the many upsides that this could bring to the table. Further direct integrationcwith meshmixer would also be great!

Benjamin-tech
Explorer

This feature would be huge. As of right now, it is difficult to accomplish this without having expensive software. It can be done with inventor by converting stl to dwg. This link explains how(https://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/convert-surface-mesh-model-to-3d-solid-body-tip8183). During the process, sometimes you have to close a popup inventor window with task manager for it to work.

HughesTooling
Consultant

There are programs that can do this already. Power Shape or Geomagic Design X for example but look up the price, don't see this technology coming to Fusion for free. Conversion of prismatic shapes like in the original post could be done quite easily. As in @odolyte  picture you can do it manually now in Fusion so an option to automate on import should be doable. Geomagic\Alibre 3d had an option years ago that could import prismatic shapes with round holes and translate to solids on import. It only worked on simple stuff and was pretty disappointing.

Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report