Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapping to geometry outside the current sketch

Snapping to geometry outside the current sketch

As far as I can tell, Fusion 360 today only snaps to geometry within the current sketch. It does not snap to other sketches, or to 3D geometry in the scene. Or if it can do so, I don't know how to make it do the snap. Please add an option to allow snapping outside the scope of a sketch.

13 Comments
cschormann
Contributor

And please make the snapping toggle available outside of a pop-up menu...

cekuhnen
Mentor

this is one of my most compaints about Fusion - a drastic lack of common sense of how snapping works

adding a lot of overhead and extra work to be able to snap to something!

MichaelAubry
Autodesk

Hey Guys,  It'll snap to it.  You just need to project the sketch geometry you want into the new sketch.

We're gearing up to do a revamp of sketching soon.  This is a good suggestion of a way to make our next iteration work more intuitively. Good stuff.

Hope that helps!

Mike

cschormann
Contributor

Projecting geometry into a sketch really is not an acceptable workflow for snapping, unless there is a transient ultra-lightway of projecting that I don't know about. There really should be no overhead to get snapping with any geometric entity in the scene while sketching. I certainly should not have to do a preparatory step.

Snapping also needs to work not just with other sketches, it also needs to be able to work with 3D geometry that intersects the sketching plane.

Thanks for listening.

Regards,

CS 

haughec
Autodesk

Good news!  In the November update, we will enable automatic projection of any object (sketch entities, model geometry, etc) into the active sketch.  This will allow you to snap - associatively - to objects which are not part of the sketch or do not lie on the sketch plane.

When you initiate a sketch in the next release, the camera will move to look directly at the sketch plane (this can be disabled in the Preferences if you'd prefer the camera to remain static).  While looking directly at the sketch plane, the cursor will now snap to any object you hover while sketching.  Each time you snap to an object, that object will be projected into your sketch.  

Please let us know what you think once the update is released!

Thanks,

Charles

haughec
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

NicoleAglaris
Contributor

Has this been released? I downloaded Autodesk in the beginning of November and am having a very hard time creating my model because I can´t snap to a lot of my sketches and geometry. I´m even having problems snapping to endpoints and geometry within my sketch sometimes. What could be the problem or what do you recommend?

Thanks,

Nicole

brianriordan
Enthusiast

This is by FAR my biggest complaint with Fusion 360.  Amazing program, but snapping (to previous sketches, sketches in another plane, to existing 3D geometry, or even the types of snaps (Where is my quadrant snap!)) needs to be improved.  So far, I'd say 30% of my designs have stalled, and required rework to figure out a workaround for snapping issues.

MartinMajewski
Advocate

I don't like the current approach either. I want to be able to snap to the grid without any projection and whatnot. This is currently totally inconsistent because you are able to move sketch-vertices around while outside of the sketch mode but you can not snap to the grid.

The grid and the snapping are still the biggest disappointments in Fusion 360 because they make precise constructing nearly impossible.

See here: 
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-and-documentation/grid-dissapears/m-p/5552160#M8565

And here: 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation-request-a/keep-grid-snaps-and-object-snaps-at-t...

smp4616
Observer

This is listed as implemented, but as far as I can tell, Fusion will only snap to sketch geometry that's been projected or included as a second step.  It appears to inconsistently allow starting of geometry (lines), coincident with geometry from two sketches, but when you try to set a point coincident in the same way, the geometry from the inactive sketch doesn't select.  

scottmoyse
Mentor

@smp4616 it does work. There is also a setting in your Preferences that dictates behaviour. model geometry and other geometry from visible sketches is automatically available if its in the same plane as the active sketch. If you want to snap to model geometry that isn't planar with the active sketch, then you need to make sure your camera is normal to the sketch plane. Otherwise the sketch solver automatically ignores all the model geometry 'behind' the sketch. So make sure you are looking directly at the sketch, and you will be able to snap to model geometry beyond the sketch.

motorhobo
Advocate

In Build 20.3802 this doesn't appear to work as designed. See this screencast - it appears I don't have permissions to embed it, so I'm including the link below). The screencast shows that the Auto project geometry on active sketch plane option is selected in Preferences. I create a new sketch, create a line, close the sketch, create a second sketch, and try to snap the first point of a new line onto the end point of the line in the first sketch. The snap icon doesn't appear and the snap fails -- the line is initiated at a random point close to but not coincident with the endpoint of the line in the first sketch.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/f7176c2d-2104-462a-a3b1-b751d68cdef2

Further to this, if you manually uncheck the option and recheck it without clicking Apply, it appears to work correctly.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/2680e54c-f2b5-4e67-8d35-ba2f4ea791da

Let me know if I'm missing something.

Van Albert

dgbates2
Contributor

Setting in preferences "Allow 3D sketching..."

and

"Auto Project edges..."

worked for me.

These should be made clearer, perhaps a shortcut at the bottom of the workspace, or on by default would be a good solution also I think.

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 15.28.53.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report