Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smooth/Relax tool for Sculpting with T-splines

Smooth/Relax tool for Sculpting with T-splines

It would be very helpful to be able to smooth portions of a T-spline cage mesh without necessary smoothing the whole thing, which can be done but with very little control with the current "interpolate" tool in the modify pull-down menu in the sculpt workspace.

The desired implementation would be to select points, edges, or faces, and then be able to relax the geometry relative to the surrounding geometry, to take out perturbations/bump and average the point positions out.

This is easy to do in modeling packages that are oriended toward game/art such as Maya or Max or Modo. Here's an example form, where due to some bevel/extrusion the proportion of the quads is getting a bit strange:

PreSmooth.PNG

and then after smoothing:

PostSmooth.PNG

the quads are now all more uniform in size and spacing, ready for further manipulation. 

10 Comments
cekuhnen
Mentor

I found the speed of TS not really ideal for sculpting detailed work so I mainly work external and in Fusion use the timeline to make the assembly and add features like fillets.

Do you have access to the new MeshFusion Modo? There you can simulate solid booleans.

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: 実装済み

Hi UnionNine, 

Thanks for the suggestion. Where are these screen shots from?  What type of options does this functionality have?

Thanks

Colin

cekuhnen
Mentor

Colin this is Modo and what he uses is a generic polygon vertex smooth command that can flatten and relax + even out the topology.

compare the first image the geometry is narrow along x stretched along y and z

second image it is flatt, relaxed, the faces have even proportions and it follows a little the surrounding surface curvature.

the Z height adjustment could be done via Z scale but what TS does not have is a relax tool option.

Jonathan_Kolodner
Enthusiast

Hi Colin & Cekuhnen, that is correct, it's Modo, and the primary option for the tool are the number of iterations of the smoothing algorithm to apply, the strength of the application, and whether or not you're going to slide the UVs as you adjust the geometry.

Jonathan_Kolodner
Enthusiast

@cekuhnen, also, earlier I forgot to mention, a z-height reduction only works on one face at a time, or multiple faces only if you want the whole thing to flatten toward the combined selection normal vector, rather than wanting all the faces to have an even transition of normal vectors across the selection.

Just another thought—what I'm after is curvature transition smoothness and developing scalar uniformity between the selected faces, with a degree of control over how much "smoothing" to apply per operation of the tool (as opposed to an all-or-nothing arrangement).

cekuhnen
Mentor

@Jonathan_KolodnerModo does not have the ability to shrink scale towards a certain point you can specify? Blender uses a 3D courser which can provide an x y z location which can be used for move scale rotate and such commands using even local global normal or custom orientations.

Jonathan_Kolodner
Enthusiast
It does have a way to do that, but that's not integrated into the what I"m
getting at—you'd just use the "auto" tool center with the transform tool,
and then click in the viewport to place your center to operate from.

What I'm saying is that just scaling something down on one axis is not the
same as a relaxation function, and that in Fusion360 as it stands you can't
easily do what we're talking about with any kind of custom action center or
orientation for the tool. You can scale faces, but you're doing it only
along the selection normal.
cekuhnen
Mentor

@Jonathan_Kolodner Yep I agree that is why I do not model first in TS but use TS afterwards to generate the BREPs. Too man modelign tools I use are not in TS. Not that I am complaining - it is just currently a fact.

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Adding this to the backlog for T-Splines. Release date TBD.

AbdnAllHope
Advocate

< 1 minute of searching and I find my top 2 T-Splines requests.  Scupt and patch could use a little love soon.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report