Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show all hidden Bodies within Components/Better Lightbulbs

Show all hidden Bodies within Components/Better Lightbulbs

Further to a conversation elsewhere on the forums, here's the issue.

When double-clicking and using the V shortcut key to hide components, it is possible to accidentally single-click and end up hiding the body instead. Currently, there is no way to know if a body is hidden unless you pop open the component in the browser and also open the Bodies group within it. If you have a large number of components in your design, as is typical when you're modeling an assembly complete with all the fasteners, it is easy to end up in a situation where you may have accidentally hidden a few bodies, but since they may be physically inside the assembly it is really difficult to figure out whether this is happening and, if so, what components may be affected.

There is already a top-level right click menu option that turns on the visibility of all components. I propose that an extra menu item is added that turns on all components and bodies.

Since sometimes there are cases where this might not be a good solution, I suggest a UI change. Currently, in the browser tree view, light bulb icons only have two states: on and off. I suggest adding a third state, perhaps showing as a half-illuminated bulb or a bulb with a line through it or some such. From a clicking perspective, the bulb is only on or off (i.e., clicking an on or third state bulb turns it off, clicking an off bulb turns it back on), but the third state would be used when a body within the component is hidden. This makes it visible at a glance when bodies are hidden without needing to pop open the component's subtree. The third state would essentially mean 'hidden by something else, so look elsewhere to turn me back on'. It could therefore also be used for turned-on bodies within a component when the component is turned off at the top level. This wouldn't change functionality in any way, but would make the underlying logic visibly explicit rather than implicit, reducing mode confusion from the point of view of users.

31 Comments
CentralProcess
Enthusiast

I have been making models with a couple thousand bodies, many nested into components. It's just not efficient to make every body a component so that the Show All Components function can bring them back to visibility. The added drop-down menu option (Show All Solids?) would be a blessing.

avitry
Participant
matt
Community Visitor

Exactly the same issue.  I imported geometry from another model to go into a complex assembly.  Will just be part of the rendering so accidentally hid bodies setting up shaders and it's taking FOREVER to find where the hidden bodies are.

Bottom line - if it's quick and easy to hide a body, it should be quick and easy to unhide it.

maritza.ga
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

maritza.ga
Alumni

Thank you for your submission. We agree this would be a helpful to add. However, with our current list of tasks, this would not be something we could accomplish within the next 6 months.  

Thank you, 
Maritza Garcia

Fusion 360 User Experience

yanouk73
Advocate

Hi,

I many other software I was using before, they have the "invisible mode", this invert everything that is show and no show, and then you can selet some body alone, or everything that is in the no show to show it.

Show/No show or visible/invisible is the same thing, many software use it and this is the only way I know that work good for large model.

thanks,

Yan

eugenebT5F6X
Participant

What, no distinction between Show/Hide Bodies and Show/Hide Components??

I'm exploring F360 as an alternative to my principle CAD tools. I hid some "components" in an assembly in order to create some new components. Boy was I surprised when the same method or hiding them could not be used for showing them. Not only that, there is no status indicator at the parent level for Bodies.

Where is the Show/hide All Bodies command?? There is one for Components.

If Autodesk wants to make a distinction between theses to model types, then distinct commands for operating on them would be appropriate as well as distinct status indicators (lightbulbs).

Fortunately, the app Display Utilities comes to the rescue! (http://autode.sk/1Yu0D1N  and  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUqEiVJrhqc) Thank you to Patrick Rainsberry for making an elegant solution to a frustrating nuisance. 

Now, I just need to figure out why Autodesk would really want to differentiate between bodies and components in the first place???

EB

matth
Advocate

Lets set the scenario, you have select bodies enabled by accident and you have tons of nested bodies in components. Then you start selecting and hiding. There is no way to easily show all bodies, as far as i can tell. So you end up having to navigate the browser to turn them on, which wouldn't be so bad if you could navigate it with arrow keys and space bar to turn off or on objects.... So a feature like Revit, where you can temporarily see all hidden objects would be fantastic where you can select all and unhide them... 

Just a thought.

Matt

Tags (4)
cekuhnen
Mentor

Yeah quite surprising that this is not a build in function already

this is a must have with bigger design scenes

philthalmann
Enthusiast

Definitely! This would be a huge asset!

To go along with this, the ability to hide or make transparent by hovering over the body or component and tap a key like the spacebar or tab. Super handy for those times like creating joints where a component is in the way or the joint location you'd like to select.

cekuhnen
Mentor

v is cool do hide an object

yet Fusion UI developers did not give us a users a hotkey to unhide what is no hidden

so we are forced to enter the dungeon of browser madness and hunt the little objects that are hidden

so we can enlighten them by turning on the light bulb and make them V like visible (not victory)

Grrrr .... !!!!

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Good discussions here. We will continue to gather feedback and work on we can improve selections. Currently our teams are focusing on higher priority projects. We have captured this in our backlog and will revisit it at a later time. 

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Sualp.Ozel
Community Manager
andy.engelkemier
Advocate

in the meantime can you just give us a way to unhide everything? I was given a file (this is pretty much All I'm using Fusion for) and opened it in Fusion. It came with a Bunch of extra things. So I have to go through deleting them. But I only need A surfaces, so it's easiest to just hide the things i want and just continue deleting the insides. Well now i need to Unhide all that.

But I'm left with a bagillion components with nothing bunb a hidden origin in them. So I have to go through a seemingly Endless tree of garbage in order to find the actual bodies.  

Well, there goes the time I would have saved. I'm headed back to rhino for this job. 

Adding, Show all bodies, doesn't seem like it should be a "takes more than 6 months" kind of action. In most software I use, you could pretty easily just write a script for that. 

I'd also love a script that just runs through and deleted components with nothing in them except origins. 

I Would go through and select components instead of bodies, but there doesn't seem to be a good way to handle nested components. And for full assemblies, you are Going to have nested components unless you are just Really bad at organization.

Sualp.Ozel
Community Manager

Hi Andy

There is a simple way to delete all empty components in Fusion as a part of the built in addins, and I use it all the time.

Take a look at the attached image and let me know if you have any questions.

delete empty components.jpg

Best regards

Sualp Ozel

andy.engelkemier
Advocate

Thanks Sualp. I already moved over to Rhino again. I'll try that out next time.

I have found that Fusion just is no good for larger assemblies. If there is some sort of workflow for getting step or iges files into fusion and quickly giving you something that you can use, then I'm all ears. Even if I get native Creo or Solid works files, it's still the same deal. There are just so many parts and pieces that the Fusion browser it seven stories tall. It's just too difficult to tell what you're selecting and where. 

I use Fusion when I just can't translate a file. Unless you make an entire thing In Fusion, I can't find a workflow for translating other assemblies into something useful inside of Fusion. Missing features like "unhide all" and similarly simple small things add up Really fast to being nothing more than a translating software.

I also can't export only part of model without hiding pieces. And you can't export an entire model if something is hidden. But since it's impossible to Find what's hidden,...well, I scrapped the work that I did in fusion and just imported the whole thing into rhino. That's how much time i was wasting.

Sualp.Ozel
Community Manager
Hi Andy thanks for the feedback.

I highly recommend using the 2 tips I posted above in your next project
It will save you a lot of time.

You can show/ hide all bodies and components easily with the free APP and delete all empty components with 1 click running the built in addin.

I also recommend utilizing sub-assemblies to better organize your assemblies in Fusion.

Let us know how it goes
andy.engelkemier
Advocate

Ah, I didn't see you post a link. Also, I'm not in the habit of clicking on links with no context behind them, especially with the current viruses going around.

I am quite disappointed that I would need an extension to accomplish showing all bodies. It's starting to feel a bit like 3dsMax development process, and Autodesk has been driving that software into the Ground. In fact I'm looking for alternatives to that at the moment. For years, the only reason we kept using it is because old projects keep coming up. Well, now you can't open old files without a lot of work....roughly the same amount of extra work it would be to just translate everything into a new software. 

I'd hate to see Fusion go the same direction so early on in it's development. 

If you see something that should be built into the software, just build it in the software. 

Sualp.Ozel
Community Manager

I am not directly working on Fusion or 3dsMax development, so I cant comment intelligently :-). I am more of an enthusiast / user / educator when it comes to Fusion.

But I can see that this idea is a "future consideration" from the development team. While they are working on implementing it in to the software, I am happy to have this app and the addin functionality so I can accomplish what I need with the current version.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report