Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

same export options in Fusion like in A 360

same export options in Fusion like in A 360

It is kinda redicilous that I have to go to a web site to order an export of a local file and wait till I get the download link email.

I can make STL from single parts so why not giving us finally the ability to also export DXF DWG and OBJ from all parts right from Fusion.

After all this are all formats AD uses.

Untitled-1.png

8 Comments
cekuhnen
Mentor

Because Fusion has no real OBJ export of parts it is currently so much work to bring furniture work into SketchUp for presentation in a space. This is really disapointing and to be honest an embarassment!

Of course SKetchUp also has issues with importing DWG from Fusion 360 but in this case as ACAD loads it fine it must be SketchUp's fault.

Still with propper mesh export this would be a no brainer!

lokiidesigns
Advocate

@cekuhnen, I have raised export options previously in a post (in my case I was more interested in FBX) and noted the same thing that you have. Since the update of A360 as well this process became even more convoluted seeing as you have to wait for the email now to access the new file as it doesn't show up in your data panel the way it used to, at least this was the case the last time I used it. Requiring third party assistance as such (even though it is still AutoDesk) and then having to wait for an email for even a small file conversion that takes mere seconds in any other program. 

This method is redundant and only adds unnecessary extra steps that are noticeably jarring to the user workflow. 

I have been informed that one of the reasons this is handed off to A360 is to reduce the program size and complexity, which I understand and if this was done right would have no qualms. For instance they could still use A360 to leverage this process but make it occur behind the scenes and appear in your data panel in Fusion instead - this has its cons to in that you would still be uploading/downloading data but at least it would not take you out of your workflow.

I have seen a post in IdeaStation that is regarding the adding of FBX?OBJ export options baked in and its status has been changed to Future Consideration......So with that fingers crossed they bring this ability in sooner rather than later.

cekuhnen
Mentor

I can understand why online you might have to wait for the process and then get an emial notification.

However EVERY other application on the world has exports build in locally. To keep the app size small I think is not the truth.

They already have NURBS exporters and the mesh engine for 3D printing.

This should at least work for local files I work on.

pior_o
Enthusiast

"why not giving us finally the ability to also export DXF DWG and OBJ from all parts right from Fusion."

To be precise, you are asking for two different things here :

1 - the ability to export all parts to a polygon-based format

2 - the choice between different file formats for this export

Regarding 1 : one can export the entirety of the current scene by right clicking the top label of the scene tree > Save as STL

Regarding 2 : the conversion to other file formats can then be done in an external program. But of course having the option to export to at least OBJ and FBX straight from Fusion would be very nice, so I am with you on that.

I hope this helps !

cekuhnen
Mentor

@pior_o

I think I am not asking for different things.

I simply ask for a common export ability.

That means in the app and offline to export everything into NURBS or polygon formats and with mesh also offer OBJ and notonly STL.

That is quite the standard in every CAD app I have. Only Fusion seems to have to do it differently.

In Alias or MOI you can select one two or everything and then export it into what you want. 

pior_o
Enthusiast

Hello Cekuhnen -

Maybe there was some misunderstanding - I was simply breaking down your request into its two distincts points just for the sake of clarity. I do agree that both are needed and should be both easily accessible, and it is necessary that it should all work in offline mode.

I actually have the exact same need  (exporting full scenes as OBJ, for which I currently have to export as STL and then convert to OBJ externally, and it's a pain). Therefore I am very interested in that request moving forward, hence my attempt at clarifying it as much as possible.

cekuhnen
Mentor

@pior_o Ah I see - yes we missunderstood us. BTW do you have access to MOI 3D?

Daniel_Graham
Autodesk
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Hello there, there are 2 elements of this Idea

•  Access point
    • This is something that we have on the backlog.  It should not be required that you leave Fusion and go to A360 to do exports
  • Local translate vs Cloud translate
    • This will not be something that we can support all locally.  We are going to continue to deliver some of these translation options via cloud/email workflows.
      • Including this locally would more than double the client install
      • Some of this is not supported consistently across Mac/PC

Thanks,

Daniel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report