Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reuse your own standard parts with different dimensions

Reuse your own standard parts with different dimensions

I'm currently working on an assembly with several countersink screws. These screws are sadly not in the parts4cad library. 

Now I can create my own screw as a Fusion design and use the "Insert into Current Design" function - but for every length and every diameter, I would have to create an own design.

It would be better to create a "design pattern" (e.g. the parametrized form of a countersink screw) and, when inserting them into your assembly, you simply choose your own length and diameter (or other parameters).

In this "master design" you could even create a database with possible combinations. For example, my countersink screw would have the following database:

Thread size (fixed)Thread length (variable)Head diameter (fixed)Head heigth (fixed)Hex key size (fixed)Hex key depth (fixed)
M3(variable)61.721.2
M4(variable)82.32.51.8
M5(variable)102.832.3
M6(variable)123.342.5
M8(variable)164.453.5

When you need a M3x23 screw now, you could very easily insert it - just select your thread size (M3) and type in 23mm under thread length.

3 Comments
TMC.Engineering
Collaborator

@folke.schwinning

I like the concept,it could be used for a lot more than screws.

For your particular problem have you tries "insert mcmaster carr part"?  there is pretty much every kind of screw there

ARTHUR-HM
Collaborator

I believe you can already do what you're asking here. I've included a quick example using the M3 specs from your chart above.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqI559qJaQ4mgYJtX3WbbX-10vZEtQ

You can drag this into your design. Then go to modify & change parameters and change threadLength.

Now, you'll have to get a little created if you are using multiple sizes of the same M3 template. And you'd probably want to be more specific with your parameter name, as if all your hardware is using threadLength, then changing it under Change Parameters will change them all. So something like M3threadLength, or even more specific.

If you have multiple lengths for the same template you could do this. Drag and drop an M3 into your design. Copy it, and paste as new in your design. Now you have two M3's that do not share parameters. Open up your Change Parameter menu, and change the threadLength to what ever you want for each M3.

Not perfect. But still a lot faster than manually creating these every time. Hope that all makes sense. Included an image below showing what it looks like after I pasted as new M3 into design.

example.png

EDIT: I should also note, you only need to do Paste New when the thread length changes. If you want multiple M3's with a length of 6, then just copy and paste that one normally. They'll be linked to each other that way so if you need to change those 6's to 5's, then they'll all update. Hope that all makes sense. Easier in practice then to try and explain in words.
jmosley
Contributor

Another example would be with cabinet designs. I have a drawer box design in one file with width, height and depth parameters. This drawer box is referenced by a larger cabinet design file. I'd like to be able to edit these parameters for each referenced instances so that one drawer box design can be used multiple times  in multiple sizes

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report