Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rethink the sketch function! free us from auto tyranny.

Rethink the sketch function! free us from auto tyranny.

I've given up using sketch mode for anything but the simplest drawing tasks  (like for instance a plumbing fixture).  

This is the principle source of loathing - Auto constraining;  often unpredictable and has at this point has negated hours of work.   Auto-constraining of lines the instant they're drawn and/or come in contact with another line makes more work than it saves as one must hunt around and unconstrain them.  Then even after that the GD lines are re-constrained!!

This is not automation in the sense it makes for more efficient designing - its more like the opposite of automation.  

I'l like the application to stop helping me.  Leave my lines alone until I decide it's time to place a constraint!

13 Comments
1al
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I am on the opposite side from you in that matter. I think that constrains are more then necessary for any technical project  and I can only say that auto constraining (from my point of view), have to be little more accurate in Fusion 360 to be perfect. Sincerely

ericfehlberg
Participant

Yes please!  I've wondered for a while why this behavior can't be toggled on/off.

ericfehlberg
Participant

Auto constraining should be toggled on / off, and should be set to OFF by default when using the spline tool. It is basically impossible to design subtle freeform curves in the sketch environment. Imagine how frustrating the sculpt environment would be if your t-spline body was constrained by incremental move, and was constantly snapping to the grid, and you couldn't turn off this behavior. 

This is how the spline tool currently acts. 

F360: "You want that tangent handle horizontal right right? I know you do. You should."

Me: Not...really, but--

F360:"No dude! Don't delete that constraint, I'll just have to put it back. There you go. All better."

Me: grrrrr

1al
Contributor
Contributor

It will be my last comment on this topic. If you want to be accurate you need constrains (combined with greed), and I want to be accurate because I am interested in technics. By the way accuracy in Fusion is not perfect, and number of times it bothers me in my work (especially when I am working with loft command, and that includes splines). Otherwise you can use 3D Studio etc., and create whatever you want. Also I am using Autodesk programs from their first 3D Studio in DOS (and AutoCAD too), and one thing that definitely attracted me to their programs was existence of strong and accurate snap and grid in those times. Later, in newer (windows) programs, snap and grid was modified to so called spinner snap and adaptive grid, which was disappointing for my way of work. Good bye.

smallfavor
Collaborator

"f you want to be accurate you need constrains". No one is saying constraints are unwanted.  You seem to be missing a important distinction here.  It's likely a language issue.  Reread the other posts.

kb9ydn
Advisor

You guys do know that if you hold down the <ctrl> key while sketching it will disable snapping and auto-constraining right?  I agree that there should be a way to toggle auto-constraints from the sketch palette.  There is already a toggle for snapping.

Freedom from tyranny is only one <ctrl> button away.

C|

smallfavor
Collaborator

<ctrl> key while sketching

No, I missed that.  I'll give it a go.  I don't recall that being mentioned in any tutorial.

kb9ydn
Advisor

It's probably in one somewhere but good luck finding it.  This is why I prefer text based documentation.  I can search for it.

C|

smallfavor
Collaborator

RIGHT, so I want to draw a rectangle that's not squared up to the normals.  Not possible holding the control key.  A regular 4-sided object with right angle corners must be inline with the normal.  One can't draw and then rotate as the thing is contained on all 4 sides and all must be unconstrained to do so.  DELETE ALL FOUR CONSTRAINTS and then try to rotate the rectangle. Add to this the selection mode changes on its own apparently from the widow select to paint select and makes things even more fun as per what was written before realizing the problem* (this happens every now and again and makes learning a delightful challenge.)

JUST TO ROTATE A FLIPPIN RECTANGLE.  IMAGINE WHAT FUN IS TO BE HAD WHEN VARIOUS SHAPES CROSS OTHERS!!

Trying to reposition and resize the shape brings on a host of other tedious steps, and back steps until 20 minutes has gone by and one wonders at the effort required to drawn lines on a plane.  UBFB

*If you select all the elements and call the move tool it resets to just one of the elements.  Try calling up the move tool first and then window select the lines - oops. You only get one in this case as well.  Now make a multi-selection of the other three side lines. Then, jeepers, one can actually rotate the rectangle.

kb9ydn
Advisor

You can't use the 3 point rectangle?  That works with the <ctrl> key pressed.  It's in the sketch menu.

C|

smallfavor
Collaborator

Sorry.  I've been using the r key and for got about the options.  I'm getting very bored with this application and my focus is wearing thin.   It's not just the rectangle issue.  It's the whole jumpy over wrought aspect of sketching anything in this application.  I get sick of dealing with line segments made by crossing lines and inadvertent contraints necessitating a couple additional steps to undo such nonsense.   I'm accustomed to exploring shapes with the line tools.  This application makes that a wildly unproductive chore.  For all it's touting of the sketch foundations, they've made it ridiculous.  It doesn't facilitate freedom to design so much as demands it's limitations be accommodated.

Thanks for the help

kb9ydn
Advisor

And that's partly why I suggested that you not rely so much on sketching.  Fusion has a sketching engine, but honestly compared to other more mature CAD apps it needs a fair bit of work.  And even then; I've learned over the years that even in Solidworks, which has a very good and efficient sketch engine, you're still better off to keep your sketching to a minimum and rely more on features for modelling.

You should of course do whatever makes sense for you.  But before you throw in the towel you might consider if there are alternate ways that Fusion can help you get to where you are going.

C|

smallfavor
Collaborator

Your argument is undeniable. Smiley Wink

I've noted examples of this in several tutorials.

The project I gave myself, to create a posable model of my hand, is a means for designing a mouse I imagine.  The project is only a means to another project.  The issue I have is the nature of the finger joints require joinery of objects that fit into each other.  In my limited way I conceive of creating solids from profiles that do the same thing.  (don't even ask about the ball joint travails.).   It can be reasonably argued I've tried too go to far too fast.  But as you pointed out "making sense" is an individual affair  I won't let it go.  I'm stubborn and perhaps as stupid as a mule.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report