Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reorder components in browser

reorder components in browser

I think it would be helpful to be able to drag the components up or down in the browser tree.  for instance, if I want to take a component created last, and drag it up to the top of the browser.   This would help with keeping the components organized within the browser.

Thanks,

41 Comments
Light_My_Fire
Enthusiast

We need this please !

Why not also a "sort by name" command to sort the entire list in 1 click.

keqingsong
Community Manager

Hey there, thanks for the idea. I'm looking into this and will get back to you on more details. 

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Hey there! Quick update on this idea - there are some workflow limitations around why you can't move components. When you create components, they are created in a certain order, when you try to move them in the browser, you may end up breaking the link between the order in the browser and it's relationship to the associated features in the timeline. 

We are working on providing the the capability create folders in the browser so you can better organize your parts, however the issue you are pointing out here is valid: 

If you can't move a component, we shouldn't give you a preview of where you can place it. We will track this issue and get it fixed so that there is no visual feedback. 

thetechbros2015
Participant

This Would definitely be helpful. I Hope this goes threw.

rapiddsol
Enthusiast

What does archived mean? Why cant I up vote??

tjtannehill
Observer

Yes,being able to better organize the component tree would be very useful.

Scoox
Collaborator

I create a sketch under the wrong component (whichever component happens to be active, usually the top-level one). I usually can drag sketches freely between components but for some reason some times Fusion 360 won't let me do this, and display the following warning:

Cannot move sketch.png

I could be completely wrong, but this seems an absurdly artificial limitation. There is no logical reason why moving a items around in the browser would screw anything up. I'm going to prove it to you: rotate your display through 180° so it's upside down. See? The browser order is now reversed, yet nothing has broken. No errors or warning. Fusion 360 continues to work. The browser is just a list that's there only for the user's convenience. I am often able to freely move sketches between different components and sub-components, but some times it doesn't work. It makes no sense at all.

Here's what's needed:

• Consistently allow freely moving items in the browser
  • Do not reflect browser re-arranging in the timeline. Moving sketches between components in browser is not reflected in the timeline, so why is it that moving bodies needs to be refelcted in the timeline as "CutPasteBodies"? Unnecessary.
  • Add "Sort alphabeticall" command in browser item context menu (sorts children of target item)
  • Allow manual re-ordering.
  • Make the insert marker (shown when dragging browser items) a darker colour, the current gray is too faint.
  • Display the insert marker only in places were items can actually be dropped.

leonardschurg
Contributor

@Scoox: This is a bit different than the original idea, but I would like to have your idea implemented too. It easily happens that your sketch gets stuck at the wrong component.

But as this thread is archived, we probably should post it as a new idea.

Scoox
Collaborator

@@leonardschurgI think this has already been requested many times. Since I posted that message I have learnt more about Fusion 360, and now I can anticipate and therefore prevent situations where components and features might end up permanently in the wrong place. It does take a bit of planning and foresight but that's probably one of the caveats of parametric modelling. For example, keeping related features together in the timeline and activating the right component before creating a feature are two habits that have consistently reduced the amount of headaches. However, I still manage to lead myself down the wrong path to a point where it'd be too much work to go back. Definitely room for improvement.

JYZMT
Advocate

+1 on this. I would vote if it was not achieved. Why does the browser need to reflect the order of creation? That's what the time line is for? yes? 

Scoox
Collaborator

Lack of sorting is my biggest pet peeve with Fusion 360, but it's still an absolutely dope piece of software—been using it for over half a year now and I feel so at home with it. At the current rate of development, I reckon it's going to take at least 2-3 years before all these little "annoyances" get sorted.

HansDR
Observer

+1 on this feature request. It would be very useful to order the components in a logical manner rather than in the order they were created.

david.antliff
Enthusiast

Sadly I just wasted 15 minutes trying to reorder my components before finding this thread. There's a little blue line that appears to show where it would go (if it actually moved) but I couldn't get it to actually move. Also, I seem to be able to move components into other components, but cannot reorder them. Couldn't the visual order be independent from creation/dependency order?

johnpgerrity
Explorer

+1 This would be really helpful

MattBeamish
Explorer

+1,  This would make things a lot easier! Also to move the order of other things such as planes 

jttrachsel
Participant

1+ an absolute must for larger assemblies. (Or at least folders)

bodicky.martin
Explorer

+1 for some kind of component sorting in browser

lefnaut
Explorer

New at Fusion 360... and so hooked : )   I found this thread by looking for a solution to reordering browser items as well.

What worked for me is, if you come at it from the timeline instead of the browser list.  Reordering items in the timeline with drag/drop... then reorders them in above in the browser window.   Now, of course, the browser item must have a corresponding timeline item... and I've only tried it on construction (planes) and sketches so far, but it seems to allow me to reorder that way.  Ran into one oddity:  There were two adjacent items in my sketches, that while I moved to the correct order in the timeline, were not in the same order in the browser.  But flipping their order in the timeline still flipped them the way I wanted in the browser... weird!   Anyway, HTH.

mfeathers
Advocate

Another +1 for this.

austintgeorge1
Explorer

Another +1 for this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report