Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rename Model and Patch to more common terms

rename Model and Patch to more common terms

Model = Solid

Patch = Surface

Fusion offers solid and surface modeling tools.

The terms Model and patch workspace is really often a lingo issue when talking to others or explaining the UI and where the solid and surface modeling tools are.

The logic behind naming it Model and Patch can be understood but I simply think it is not really effective because in model you talk about solids and in patch you talk about surfaces.

In patch workspace I deal wit surfaces while NURBS uses a square patch as a building block.

A patch is also more the sub element of surfaces.

Thats why I propose to use more logical and similar terms for the modes based on the geometry they generate

Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 1.41.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-10 at 1.42.03 PM.png

3 Comments
nkloski
Collaborator

Yes!  YES!  I want to "patch" something that has a hole in it, or something that is broken needs a "patch".

I think the Patch/Surface environment is one of the best things in Fusion and I think the "Patch" name does not really describe what that tool does.  Many people I teach kind of automatically discard the Patch environment, while in truth, it is very powerful....naming it the Surface environment is MUCH better!

I vote that this gets implemented immediately, bypassing all normal methods for voting and due process.  All it would take is a global search and replace of the code, documentation, and training videos to replace "Patch" with "Surface".  It doesn't seem hard when you put it that way, does it?  🙂

P.S. - I would have to re-do all my training classes as well, but it would be worth it, I think.

P.P.S - No need to bypass normal processes 🙂

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Yes, this totally makes sense and we are working on making workspace naming more aligned do what they represent. These current names date back to the days of Inventor Fusion. We are working on designing a more logical tabbed workspace experience, which will have these workspace names updated. 

cekuhnen
Mentor

@keqingsong Great to hear that!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report