Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduce feedrate when cutting across grain

Reduce feedrate when cutting across grain

When cutting any wood with a CNC router (especially open grained wood like walnut or mahogany), I find there is a high risk of pullouts when the tool is cutting across the grain. Pullouts are pits in the surface created when bits of wood are pulled out by the tool rather than cut smoothly.

My work-around has been to slow the whole cut down, take several finishing passes, and use very expensive and sharp tools. But wood can vary a lot from piece to piece. So, I might think I've got my tool path locked down, and then a piece comes through with a looser grain system and I get pullouts again. These pullouts can ruin a piece if they are too deep to be sanded out, which can be depressing if it happens to a $300 piece of curly walnut.

Cutting example.jpg

I would like to be able to slow the feed rate when the cutter is moving ACROSS the grain. This  feature would be very closely related to Maximum Directional Change. I would implement it as another line in the Feed Optimization menu by having the user select a reference line or edge that runs parallel to the grain of  the work piece and then enter an angle of motion (or angle of tangent if on a curve) relative to this reference beyond which the Reduced Feedrate is used. 

This would be very useful to woodworkers, who always plan the grain direction early in the design process. Even plywood would benefit, because the top veneer can be particularly weak and prone to splintering off when cut across the grain.  This would also be of interest to anyone cutting any composite material that has oriented reinforcing. 

3 Comments
dialsc
Enthusiast

I think having a general possibility to define areas where we want the speeds and feeds to be different could be an elegant solution. I can imagine a couple of situations where this would help, not just yours.

It could be done by selecting a sketch, a face, a body, solid, asf. to define the area/region where the f&s should change to a value which can be defined in the operation settings. By this, when ever the tool is within the area/region/space defined it would be driven using these different settings.

Looks like this has the potential for an individual idea... 😉

jburns
Enthusiast

I agree and had a similar thought myself. I would gladly use the feature as you describe it.

The reason I suggested modifying the feed optimization menu is because I thought it might be "low hanging fruit" - that is easy to program because most of what they need is probably already there... thus making it more likely that they might actually implement it.

al.whatmough
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

I am archiving this Idea as it isn't something that can be prioritized as described.

That said, @dialsc your idea is very nice.  Can you create a separate idea for this workflow.  This could fit well for both milling and turning.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report