Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ray tracing GPU?

Ray tracing GPU?

Are there any plans to shift Ray Tracing from CPU cores to GPU cores? With 1,500 GPU cores you could probably parallel process the rays faster than on 4 CPU cores. 

14 Comments
brianrepp
Community Manager
Status changed to: Gathering Support

O.Tan
Advisor

And if possible make it be multi-gpu as well! 

colin.smith
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

We will be releasing local background rendering in an upcoming release.

McSquizzy
Advocate
Nice! Looking forward to using it
O.Tan
Advisor

Hmm, so Fusion background render will use both GPU and CPU?

anonperson
Advocate

Glad this is happening.  Using my gaming PC for Fusion at the moment, and it's GPU (GTX970) is much more powerful than it's CPU (3.6GHz dual core). 😉

cekuhnen
Mentor

Yeah I left years ago CPU rendering and switched fully to GPU - I will never go back to that slow technology.

colin.smith
Alumni

Local rendering will use the current interactive renderer (RRT) and create a background process. 

anonperson
Advocate

Thanks for the info @colin.smith.  That's probably a bit opaque for the non-Fusion 360 developers here.  What's a "current interactive renderer (RRT)"? 🙂

colin.smith
Alumni

Hi @anonperson

The RRT (Rapid Ray Tracer) is the same rendering engine you use when you start the current interactive renderer.

Screen Shot 2015-09-22 at 3.46.43 PM.png

There is a project underway to add background rendering on the desktop using the interative renderer as the rendering engine.

Colin

anonperson
Advocate

Thanks Colin, that explains it well. 🙂

eformanceng
Community Visitor

Since the forum does not timestamp comments, I wanted to know what the current status of GPU ray tracing is, as of Dec 2nd, 2015?

Thanks.

jacksonknifeandtool
Contributor

I am also wondering the status of gpu rendering and multi gpu support. I have a couple of gtx970's that should outpace my cpu.

it's 12/3/2015. 

jamespal
Explorer

Its been a while since this thread was created, but will the new real time raytracing abilities of the Quadro RTX or Titan RTX be able to be used to speed up final production renders as well? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report