Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unroll" command

"Unroll" command

This is similar to what someone posted a while back about bending bodies, but the opposite. This command would be used to "unroll" bodies or surfaces with 3d curvature to what they would be as a flat shape as if they were laid out on a table. I posted screenshots below of an instance this would be used for. The black body is a piece of leather. As you can see it has 3d curvature, and if I were to make this, I would need to CNC the leather into this shape. There is no way for me to know the exact shape as a flat piece of leather though because it is currently curved. The unroll command would determine this for me. 

6 Comments

This would be awesome.. I'm cautiously optimistic that it (or a reasonable approximation) may come as part of sheet metal

lokiidesigns
Advocate

@benlorimore, There is an Exact Flat add in that accomplishes this, albeit externally. Not sure if this is would fulfil your requirements? See link below for some further info in case you are unaware:

http://www.exactflat.com/fusion360.html

I don't know how successful it is for:

• complex shapes and forms
  • when using it as representative of materials other than fabrics
  • if you require the resulting pattern to be held with the design file as I believe this spits out an external file type
amcfarlen
Advocate

I'm needing this feature as well for several projects I'm working on. Very hopeful that this will be available in an upcoming release.

inger.lg
Explorer

@lokiidesigns 6250 dollars for this add in is a little bit above my budget :-). 

keqingsong
Community Manager
Hey there! Thanks so much for submitting your idea. Unfortunately, this idea did not get a lot of votes from the community, and now is 2 years old. We're changing its status to archived. If you still feel strongly about this idea, you can resubmit it. Check out some idea submission best practices here: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/community-faq/ideas/m-p/5384681#M44
keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report