Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Design - Auto Create Component

New Design - Auto Create Component

When creating a new design mt very first step is to create a component then activate it.  I would like to have this happen automatically.  I would like a prefence setting that I can check on to have this happen by default.  The picture shows what I mean.  you could do in a pull down too if there are mulltiple flavors of the idea (ie. create component, create component and activate, do something even better)

Capture.PNG

18 Comments
hair_helmet
Contributor

I was just going to submit something similar.  When I Extrude a sketch profile, 89.24% of the time I want to create a New Component with the extrusion.  Having a way to set the default extrusion action would be great.  I find myself undoing often once I'm in a rhythm.

n9iww
Participant

there are two items that i need to know about one is when you extrude the surface the grid lines disappear also the dimension lines go away why does fusion 360 do this i start out with lines drawn 2d with the dimensions showing up then i extrude the surface then is disappears why

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

TMC.Engineering
Collaborator

@keqingsong

I'm curious, is this in the next release?

keqingsong
Community Manager

Apologies, i think i miss-read your idea.No, the solution you are proposing is not coming in the next update. We are looking at ways to better do this. Today when you start a new design, you can start creating new components from the toolbar. We'll look into whether we can add it to the preferences. 

create new component.gif

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク今後検討

TMC.Engineering
Collaborator

thanks for clarifying .  I can only imagine trying to stay on top off all the ideas. The method you propose is what I currently do, unless I forget:)

elh.maayan
Enthusiast

many new users (like myself) are daunted by the sheer vastness of fusion , and attempt to focus on actually creating basic parts and sketches, so focusing on creating components eludes them, until they start doing so in the middle of a sketch .

further more most users during normal usage of the software will slowly sink into a way of work that either pushes them to use components or  other types workflows which does not. 

for new users, and users that during the normal course of  work flow are required to use components i believe there should be a preference in fusion that has create a new component and activate it automatically when a new project is created. 

the benefit for experienced users who use components is that they won't be forced to perform a repetitive task which is rather crucial to a beginning of a project , and the benefit for new users, is that they'll be educated with the importance of creating components from the beginning.

Tags (2)
daniel_lyall
Mentor

Someone knows what RTFM means, your a rear user that makes life a bit easyer.Smiley Happy

elh.maayan
Enthusiast

a rear user?:)

daniel_lyall
Mentor

I hate spell check 

elh.maayan
Enthusiast

screw spelling, i hate forgetting negation  in statements ;D 

kb9ydn
Advisor

This idea has been floated before.  There ought to be a setting in the preferences to do this (or not).

C|

mavigogun
Advisor

I get the dilemma- I don't get the "solution": Components aren't just a label, they serve a function.   How would this not be an option to render Fusion dysfunctional?

The need to think ahead- in the context of Components -comes with experience.   You can't cheat experience.   Ya, it sucks the first few times you build something and reach the point where the Component structure matters- but that's no different than any iterative design process.   You don't know what you don't know until you do the work to know what you didn't know.

daniel_lyall
Mentor

@mavigogun It's a good idea a lot of people jump on the forum and go clean off that somethings are not working like they should quite often the reasion is not useing components, how to stop this problem forces the use, if It's a play turn the component off one click solve. A one click solution is better that a day in the drain. 

kb9ydn
Advisor

@mavigogun

This idea would really only be a convenience feature, to automatically create a first component for you.  I think the hope is that by having that first component already there, it will act as a reminder that you need to create a component structure as you go (or before you start).  How effective it will be at getting people to use components more is certainly debatable.  My guess is that it probably won't make much difference.

If you ask me, one of the issues with Fusion and components is that it doesn't exactly make it very obvious what context you're working in.  Yes it does give you that little dot next to the active component, but without any other visual cues it's very easy to get distracted and forget where you're at.  You can turn on transparency for the inactive part of the design but that gets really annoying in a hurry.

C|

How «rule #1» is «rule #1» without having it built into the software is beyond me.

If creating a component is really the first thing everyone should do, don't make new users «RTFM», make the first component for them

It shouldn't have to be a rule or even something you have to know or remember. It should just happen.

nils_winkler
Enthusiast

Hello,

would it be a good idea to save a base design as a template? Starting a new design may the ask for the template and all the more or less basic things which are stored will be applied.

In fact you can do some of this work using an "old" file, open it and save it as a new one, working with this. But the template solution, like in Microsoft Office, will just open the template and automatically create a new file, so you do not delete or destroy parts of the "old" file.

Regards

Nils

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report