Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick-Save Button

Quick-Save Button

Hello!

In my opinion it would be useful to have a quicksave button which does not create a new version.

Its annoying to loose the past 10 minutes after a crash. And fusion crashes very often.

So please consider a a new quicksave button which updates the version without creating a new one.

Another benifit is to prevent uncontrolled growth of the versions.

best regards from Germany

Kircher

9 Comments
HughesTooling
Consultant

It would also be useful when the design is finished and you're working in the CAM workspace. I don't need new versions every time I add a toolpath. Too much information is almost as bad as no information. Most of the time I end up with 10 or 20 versions added while working on making the parts, none of these a worth saving as a new version and only make fine what I want more difficult.

Mark

lokiidesigns
Advocate

@Kircher.Engineering

Did you know that there is a way to save without creating a new version - simply hit Ctrl + Shift + S at the same time. The ever present Ctrl + S will save (as it would for any program ever made) but as you wold know in Fusion will increment your version as well, this can still be used immediately after a Ctrl + Shift + S if a new version is deemed required.

Not sure you need a button for that but I find the keyboard shortcut more useful in this case as I rarely use the Save button as is. Having said that it might be a useful feature to be able to promote some of the "system" options or functions into that section as we can already in the ribbon - like Live Review Session.....

HughesTooling
Consultant

@lokiidesigns

Ctrl + Shift + S only saves a recovery file it doesn't save to the cloud. If you open a file, modify, press Ctrl + Shift + S then close the file you are prompted to save, if you pick don't save you don't save your modification. What's asked for here is a save to the cloud without creating a new version. As I said, by the time I've finished making a part in the CAM workspace I've usually added 10 or 20 versions I don't need.

Mark

lokiidesigns
Advocate

@HughesTooling

I was unaware that this only created a recovery file and did not cloud save.....nice to know. 

I am wondering if it would be better if Ctrl + Shift + S was an incremental version save i.e. 3.01...3.02...etc., but only on a major save (i.e. Ctrl + S goes from 3.02 to 4.00) do you get the proper version and a chance to describe the changes. These could be rolled up into a tree like hierarchy so you only se the major versions if that is your preference.

Also the more I think about it the nicer it would be to be able to promote some of the system options up as we can for any modeling function as per my previous comment. Especially if we end up adding a third Save option i.e. major version save, feature or minor version save and a local recovery file save...either that or Ctrl + S has a drop down for the type of save you want to undertake?

charegb
Community Manager

What about the concept of Revisions? Could specifying major updates with a revision like "RevXX" accomplish the same thing for you?

Bankim

keqingsong
Community Manager

@charegb this one is also related but is slightly different in that it's more of an UI angle: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/give-me-a-preference-to-avoid-having...

Kircher.Engineering
Enthusiast

Revisions would be great too. If you can promote an earlier version as "Rev. 2" it would help to find working oder versions without searching in the whole bunch of versions.

there are v90+ files in some of my projects. there is no need to have this amount of different versions.

keqingsong
Community Manager

Gotcha. As  mentioned, we are working on providing better revisions instead of a "quick save" button. We hear you on the original idea, but since it's different than what we're working on, we're archiving it. Cheers! 

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: RUG-jp審査通過

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report