Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Provide an interface for fixing broken projections, misplaced joints

Provide an interface for fixing broken projections, misplaced joints

Frequently, when updating objects that appear early in the editing history, projected sketch lines will lose their link to the updated geometry, causing cascading failures throughout the assembly. There is currently no mechanism for telling Fusion "The line you lost is here now", so trying to repair the assembly is nearly impossible.

Fusion should have an interface for clarifying any lost projections, misplaced joints, and any other references to geometry that might have changed due to edits to the history or changes to externally linked models.

18 Comments
aspagliere
Enthusiast

You have my passionate agreement. I have only designed relatively simple things to this point, but it has already been an issue.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We have this in the backlog and hope to get to this sometime next year. We'll keep you posted on it's progress! 

jasonhimself
Observer

Even a simple way to remove irrelevant warnings would be good and particularly projections that are no longer needed from changed or replaced geometry.

aspagliere
Enthusiast

Often times I can't find the missing projection, so I have to delete the entire sketch and start over, which has a major impact on downstream modeling.

hoegge
Collaborator

Please add:

It would also be great if you could select only 1) Projected items , 2) Missing projected items

jagboy2013
Collaborator

Personally, I think this should be a high priority.  This is a non-issue in Solidworks - it is easy to re-connect dangling dependencies.  This "missing feature" in Fusion makes Fusion designs inherently more "brittle" than Solidworks designs.

Regards,

Ray L.

Sounds good to me!

whatwhatwhoa
Contributor

Even OnShape actually tells where your projections are broken and allows you to fix them.

Fusion 360 just tells "it broke" and it's a wild goose chase.

Just wasted hours fixing projection issues. 

Deleted a redundant extrusion, and it broke my body joining and now all the projections are broken. It seems that Fusion 360 is really really bad at handling any kind of dependencies.

It's a real bummer because the sketch organization, body, and timeline are much more useful that onshape. The rendering tools are nice and built in. Performance is overall better. But I don't want to stress myself out fixing all these dependencies. It's more like 20% drawing, 80% hunting down and debugging your drawing.

sgraves
Enthusiast

Amazed that this hasn't been fixed!!

In any case, finding missing vertices is the most difficult case. I have found that unclicking "Show Points" will often make the yellow vertex  visible.   Why the yellow vertex (and other yellowed errors) can't be made so that they are bigger or come to the front mystifies me.  This should be low hanging fruit that solves a major problem!!!

Steve

whatwhatwhoa
Contributor

Autodesk 360 is absolutely unusable until this gets fixed. 

burnzedy
Explorer

Please fix this issue.

Not being able to fix a broken reference is really frustrating and a complete waste of time. For example if the reference is a profile that was used early in the design and lots of elements were built upon it, we need to restart all over again.... what's is the point of having an history then? Just selecting the cached version and having the opportunity to choose a new source for it would be so much more logical, practical and fast!

Thanks!

hristo.sabev
Contributor

Unfortunately and quite surprisingly not fixed yet, after 2 years now. Just voted it up, as it's quite important. I.e. it prevents even basic refactoring:)

jeanPWW8N
Contributor

Also voted up while searching for a solution to this. Very badly needed as Fusion 360 sketches very often overshoot or distort whenever something small is modified.

jade.fink
Enthusiast

This issue makes Fusion unusable as a parametric modeler. If you can't change something at the start of the timeline without having to completely redo a bunch of the model, it isn't parametric, is it?

lucasproko
Alumni

Hey all - I'm happy to report that we have begun a project to allow you to fix broken projections! For more details on the current mockup of the workflow, please follow the below link and comment there if you have any questions or suggestions.

Feedback Request : Re-link lost projections

For the record, I'm not going to "Accept" this Idea because it also encapsulates the Idea of repairing joints, but I did want to come let you all know that at least part of the request is underway. 

rohit.bapat
Autodesk

Hello All,

I am glad to give you an update that the latest release of Fusion 360 has the feature called Manage Lost Projections which will allow you to fix broken projection by re-associating.

Please take a look at What's New Blog for further information

Please give it a try and let's know if you have any questions or concerns. You can also reachout to my email id rohit.bapat@autodesk.com in case you want.

Thank you,

Best Regards

Rohit Bapat

(Product Owner, Fusion 360)

jade.fink
Enthusiast

Can I use this feature to fix not broken projections, for instance if I accidentally selected the wrong thing to associate with the projection or the thing I want to project changed in any other way?

rohit.bapat
Autodesk

Hello @jade.fink 

Thank you for your query. Currently, there is no plan to avail this feature for normal nonbroken projections. I will highly recommend if you can put this idea into the Idea Station it will help us track this idea.

Thank you,

Best Regards

Rohit Bapat

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report